Questions about hooking up furnace to generator

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

Questions about hooking up furnace to generator

Postby dw123 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:33 am

All - we have a gas furnace (Carrier Comfort 80), and I would like to be able to run the blower off a generator so we can keep the heating going during a power outage. I want to do this in the simplest way possible, which for me is installing a plug and socket in the power line to the furnace (I know the "proper" way is to use a transfer switch). I installed the plug/socked in the line from the fuse box to the breaker switch on the furnace, then tried killing the power and running the blower off the generator, which worked fine, except no heat came through and instead there was a slight smell of gas. I quickly turned off and returned everything to normal. On further inspection of the fuse box, there is a second fuse (other than the one to the breaker switch) which says "feed to furnace" but I can't see another line going into the furnace. Did I miss something here? Is it normal to have multiple lines going to the furnace? I'm wondering if one is for the burner or something. Any help appreciated - thanks!
dw123
Minimal

- Questions about hooking up furnace to generator

Postby heatseeker » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:46 pm

sounds like you bypassed the transformer.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Return to HVAC General Forum