Help me find a new pessure switch!

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

Help me find a new pessure switch!

Postby hr2pilot » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:35 pm

I am looking to replace a sticking draft blower pressure switch (occasionally slow to activate....tapping the case throws the switch) on a 20 year old Airco Turbo 8300 mid efficiency furnace (model HMS2-130/120....Canadian manufacture).

The pressure switch to be replaced is an obsolete TriDelta brand model FS6116-659. It has no specs on the label indicating the required water column, making it hard to replace with another brand.

Anyone here online that can offer any tips, advice or help on finding a replacement switch for this furnace?
hr2pilot
New Contributor

- Help me find a new pessure switch!

Postby heatseeker » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:17 am

If the parts are obsolete so is the furnace. Also the inducer draft motor could be your problem, Or you could have clogged flue pipe. Time for a new furnace> have you checked the heat exchanger?
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Postby hr2pilot » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:52 pm

Thanks, but the blower works fine, was replaced a few years ago, and blows adequate pressure through it's exhaust nipple.

The flue has been inspected and is clear. The heat exchanger has also been inspected with no leaks or cracks.

The switch is a simple single nozzle, .20 WC , so I should be able to find other brand online that should work.

Cheers
hr2pilot
New Contributor

Postby heatseeker » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:59 am

What do you mean the blower works fine? don't you mean the inducer motor works fine? A 20 year old unit needs replacing in this day and age.
cheers
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Postby hr2pilot » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:55 pm

OK...I give up......a new pressure switch installed still gives me intermittent operation. There is not enough pressure to keep the switch closed all the time.

Jumping the contacts on the switch gives me good furnace operation. Everything else checks out.

So, what you're saying is that although the inducer motor seems to be running ok, it may not be up to proper RPM to provide the required draft pressure?

Sounds reasonable......the motor is making a bit more noise these days.......looks like a new induced motor/blower assembly is needed.

This will be the second motor replaced in 21 years. I suppose I shouldn’t complain, these motors do work pretty hard in extreme conditions and proximity to heat.

Thanks
hr2pilot
New Contributor

Postby heatseeker » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:42 am

Yea new inducer motor, or new furnace your choice.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Postby hr2pilot » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:24 pm

200 bucks versus 5000 bucks......decision won't be hard...
hr2pilot
New Contributor

Postby heatseeker » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:15 am

I don't know where you got your quote but 5 g's for a new furnace is way out of the ballpark.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Postby pacalis » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:24 pm

h2pilot. Interesting, I had exactly this problem this week with the same furnace. And the same math.

Heatseaker - what would you think an install cost to upgrade a to a good high efficiency furnace in Canada. And what would you look at?
pacalis
Minimal

Postby heatseeker » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:48 am

Well I don't know about canada-oh Canada- but for 80% gas equipment 1500 to 2250 is a pretty good ballpark. That's a straight change out. As far as the high efficient units of coarse the dollars go up. I personally like to keep it simple though, big technology can also mean big headaches.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Next

Return to HVAC General Forum