How do you replace a small central heating radiator?

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

How do you replace a small central heating radiator?

Postby theradiator » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:53 am

Hi Friends,
I want to know some information about Heating Radiator. How do you replace a small central heating radiator? Please give me reply as soon as possible. I'v referred one site and check collection - -.theradiatorcompany.co.uk. I want to buy new radiator from there. Please give me suggestion.
theradiator
New Contributor

- How do you replace a small central heating radiator?

Postby heatseeker » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:14 pm

very very carefully.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Postby Freon » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:31 pm

What kind of system... steam or hot water?
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby theradiator » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:47 am

Steam..
theradiator
New Contributor

Postby Freon » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:36 am

You can disconnect the old radiator at the union connection which may be integral to the valve to the specific radiator. Close the valve and you can keep using the system. Then you need to calculate the Equivalent Direct Radiation of the old radiator. That calculation can be done using this - * dot colonialsupply dot com/resources/radiator2.htm

Then find the new radiator with the same Equivalent Direct Radiation as the old one. I am assuming you are comfortable with the amount of heat you currently have in the room. Then install the new radiator. If it's a 1 pipe steam system, make sure there is a very slight pitch toward the end of the radiator where the valve is. I assume the new radiator comes with an air vent. If not you may be able to reuse the old vent. Be sure you choose a radiator designed for steam. The air vent tap will be about 2/3 of the way from the floor to the top of the radiator.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Return to HVAC General Forum