Essex Relay Information

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

Essex Relay Information

Postby Knorske01 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:31 pm

I have a "hybrid" heating - a converted coal boiler now fired by oil, with electric backup. My late father, an electrical engineer, designed the electric portion. In essence, two water heater elements provide heat when the power company allows their interruptable power to the house.

In the control portion, my father used a Honeywell contactor, RA117A1047, a Honeywell transformer, AT72D1683, and two Essex relays, 8027 129115 6810Z and 8012 129115 6840Z. These items, apparently, are "ancient" or "classic," and I am attempting to locate documents describing the items and how they operate. So far, I'm having little to no luck getting any documentation.

I will appreciate any and all comments and suggestions about finding information and/or documentation for these items.

Thank you.
Knorske01
New Contributor

- Essex Relay Information

Postby Freon » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:19 pm

The Honeywell contactor, RA117A1047 is really a flame sensing protection device. It will sense no stack heat and then shut off the system. Google that number for more information. The transformer is a simple 120 volt AC to 24 volts AC transformer used to give you the control voltage for the system.

I am guessing the Essex relays most likely switch the 240 volts to the heating elements. They should have a 24 volt solenoid. If you can draw a wiring diagram you will answer many questions. At the heating elements portion I am assuming a 240 volt AC element, much like a standard hot water heater uses. But to know for sure you need to trace the large wires from the heating elements through the relay switch back to the circuit breaker box. Then you'll know for sure if it's a 240 volt or 120 volt heating element. If you see red and black wires it's usually 240 volt and black and white 120 volt. But to be certain check the connection at the main breaker panel.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby Knorske01 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:47 pm

Freon...Thank you for your comments.

I must modify my original "question," some, though. The contactor is a Honeywell 9425 R8243B1013; the RA117A, which I mistakenly listed, is a part of the oil burner circuit.

As I mentioned, the electric contribution is a design of my father's. Generally, I understand how it works, with the parts acting as you have mentioned.

My goal, though, is to obtain documents and schematics of these specific elements. Some, to better understand my dad's setup, and some to have good information in the case one or many of these devices might fail. Again, there seems to be little information about things because I presume they are no longer in current production. To date, I have not been able to get info from Honeywell or Essex (now Essex Brownell). Also, the "archive" sites don't seem to have anything listed, either.

I do hope someone might be able to point me to a source of documentation and or schematics. Surely, currnet products can replace these, but I'd like to have very good information so as to obtain a correct replacement.

Thank you!
Knorske01
New Contributor

Postby Freon » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:53 pm

The Honeywell contactor is easily found online. It's a simple contactor. The Essex relays are probably contractors since I assume they switch the high voltage, high current to the heating elements. To learn anything specific I would contact Essex directly. They are not made so they are not in any online catalog that I could find.

The setup is very easy to understand once you make a circuit diagram. Good luck with your hunt.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Return to HVAC General Forum