Replacing Jantrol thermostat - need some help

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

Replacing Jantrol thermostat - need some help

Postby mhamilton39 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:32 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to replace an old Jantrol thermostat on my own. I purchased a Honeywell RTH2310.

On the current Jantrol the wires are connected - Y G R O W2 C. E on the Jantrol is empty and not wired.

The replacement - Rh Rc W Y G. I've read the install guide and stuff online, but I can't figure out how to wire the replacement.

Will my replacement work for this, or do I need a different replacement? If this one will work, how do I wire it?

Thanks!!
mhamilton39
Minimal

- Replacing Jantrol thermostat * need some help

Postby Freon » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:50 pm

Based on the old Janitrol connections, you have a heat pump system. You need to verify that you do, in fact, have a heat pump system.

The RTH2310 thermostat is for a simple one heat, one cool system. That would be a furnace and an air conditioner, not a heat pump. If you find you have a heat pump, you need a different thermostat.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby mhamilton39 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:32 pm

Thanks. I have a heat pump and an air conditioner.
mhamilton39
Minimal

Postby Freon » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:37 pm

Most likely you have a heat pump (serves both heat and AC) and also back up heat in the form of electric heat strips in the air handler. Make and model number of the outdoor and indoor unit will help if you need further assistance.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Return to HVAC General Forum