Opinion on service charge ..

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

Opinion on service charge ..

Postby overkill » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:20 pm

Hello,
I have a Heil 3 ton central ac unit. It was installed when my house was built (2006).
The compressor took a crap. I had a guy come look at my system and said the compressor needs replaced.
Anyway, before determining it was the compressor,he installed a hard start kit . Which didn't do anything ..
He can install a new compressor,and fill Freon. He says its about $30 a pound.
Everything for $1200.00 total.
Does this sound right? Am I getting a good deal?

Thanks for your opinion.
overkill
New Contributor

- Opinion on service charge ..

Postby Freon » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:34 pm

Tell me how you determined the compressor was the real problem? Many times it's the run capacitor. Your unit is not that old.
As for cost, check the cost for a new condenser... it may be cheaper than replacing the compressor due to less labor. Get a list as to what the tech will do when he replaces your compressor. It can be involved and take time, if done correctly. Costs vary widely depending on where you live.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby overkill » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:43 am

The Tech determined the compressor was bad (not me),after he installed a hard start kit.
Before I called the tech out, I replaced the run capacitor with a new one,even though it didn't look bad (swollen).
The hard start kit,fixed a loud electrical buzz I was having with it,but the tech determined the compressor wasn't starting.
Anyway,this all happened this past winter,after noticing the buzz (every few minutes) ,I just shut it down and used my gas log fireplace for heat.Now I want to use the ac and wanted it fixed before turning it on.
overkill
New Contributor

Postby overkill » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:55 am

*.*/watch?*
overkill
New Contributor

Postby Freon » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:17 pm

Best way to know a compressor is dead is to measure the resistance (impedance) of the windings. Another way is to look where the wires connect to the compressor for signs of excessive heat.

Get a price for a new condenser and compare it to the compressor only price. Also see what another company would suggest, both as to the real problem and the costs to fix it.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Return to HVAC General Forum