HELP!!!! Condenser fan motor replacement

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

HELP!!!! Condenser fan motor replacement

Postby cujok » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:28 am

This is a follow up help request to my first post.

It now seems that my compressor and condenser fan will start up and run for a short while and then the condenser fan starts to make noise and slows down eventually stopping. It is humming very loudly at this point so I pull the power disconnect. The motor will spin freely but if I try to turn on the power it hums loudly and becomes very hard to turn then. After it cools down for about a half hour or so I can repeat the process. It does cool properly when it is running. I am still awaiting the delivery of a new condenser fan motor on Friday but am wondering now if that's my only problem. I suspect the dual compressor/condenser fan capacitor may be bad also. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's getting hot in here and is expected to be in the 90's again today.
cujok
New Contributor

- RUUD Heat Pump UPKA 036JAZ

Postby Freon » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:13 pm

Replace the dual capacitor with one that is IDENTICAL... it's a $15 item. Mark the wires as you disconnect them with the disconnect to the condenser pulled. If the motor spins freely then the bearings are okay. Do the capacitor before trying a new motor... you may save yourself money and headaches.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby cujok » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:23 pm

Thanks Freon. Freon -
> Replace the dual capacitor with one that is IDENTICAL... it's a $15 item. Mark the
> wires as you disconnect them with the disconnect to the condenser pulled. If the
> motor spins freely then the bearings are okay. Do the capacitor before trying a
> new motor... you may save yourself money and headaches.

I'm assuming the terminals are marked on the capacitors so I know which wires go to which terminals.
cujok
New Contributor

Postby cujok » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:34 pm

Okay the motor is a ProTech and has 5 wires. My old motor has 3 wires. I'm trying to figure out how to connect the five wires to the capacitor. I have the following connections on the capacitor (as you already know) Fan, 'C' and HERM.

I have the following wires from the new fan motor.
Orange, Purple, Brown, Yellow & Black.

The compressor connects to HERM and I think the Orange from the motor connects to 'C' and Brown & Yellow connect together. Purple goes to Fan and Black connects to the fan relay. I have pictures if someone wants to contact me directly.

I would really appreciate some help here. It's not getting any cooler in this house. I did manage to snag a window unit for our bedroom. We are having record temps close to 100 here in VA.

Thanks - Jerry
cujok
New Contributor

- HELP!!!! Condenser fan motor replacement

Postby Freon » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:56 am

Did you try a NEW capacitor with the OLD motor? The new motor should have the wiring diagram you need.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby cujok » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:00 am

I'm going to replace them both. They are about 15 years old.
cujok
New Contributor

Postby cujok » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:43 pm

Okay job done and successful. That condenser fan hasn't been that quiet since it was new. Been running for 1.5 hours without a problem.
cujok
New Contributor

Postby hvacsystemtalk » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:09 am

Same with my motor trouble. Thanks for save my money.
hvacsystemtalk
Minimal

Return to HVAC General Forum