Should I replace all the duct work in my home?

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

- Should I replace all the duct work in my home?

Postby kashiragib » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:41 am

I also like option 3
good one
kashiragib
New Contributor

Postby KristopherH » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:23 am

Is it possible to just switch the cold air and heat near the furnace without having to rip out all the duct work? Replacing all the duct work sounds expensive. We also have a crawl space under part of our house and live in cold Indiana. I don't think our floors are insulated but that sounds like a good idea.
KristopherH
New Contributor

Postby aircooledtx » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:22 pm

**"k9taxi"-*'m heating with gas. I live in Salt Lake City, Utah. I have a Coleman Eschelon .C series 96% Efficient furnace sitting in the garage waiting to replace my old 85% efficient furnace. I have to decide soon if I'm going to replace the duct work. I'm also considering spending $3,400 to have 2" of insulation pumped into the air space between the bricks. Already have new double pane low-e windows installed everywhere. Also have the attic full of cellulose insulation.

The only options I have left -

1) retrofit all the duct work
2) insulate the brick air gap
3) insulate the floors
4) move to some other state where it doesn't freeze in the winter

P.S. Option 4 is starting to look better all the time.*/-*
I would replace the ductwork if you can and design for new type heating and air conditioning. Replace that old Coleman if you have the money to Carrier Variable drv furnace..
aircooledtx
Most Valued Contributor

Return to HVAC General Forum