How to make HVAC quieter

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

How to make HVAC quieter

Postby Condoperson » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:47 am

I moved into a new condo recently...the HVAC system is in the bedroom...the heating blower is very loud..it has 2 vents directly above it which emit the noise from the blower...the ac compressor is even louder...I contacted the builder who said nothing could be done about it...I think he just does not want to spend the money...
Does anyone have any ideas about how to quiet down the HVAC system? are there quiet blowers / ac compressors out there?
This is driving me crazy as I cannot sleep and use the HVAC system at the same time...I should not have to choose between sleep and staying warm!
Condoperson
Minimal

- How to make HVAC quieter

Postby juster » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:59 pm

The unit was most likely designed for the size of your unit. Meaning the compressor and blower need to be a certain size. Not sure how many vents in your place but you may want to redirect some of the air by opening and closing the vents. This will only help somewhat and you are correct that if you direct to much air away from your room you may not get the heat you need.
As for the compressor, they do sell insulating covers that help with sound.
juster
Most Valued Contributor

Return to HVAC General Forum