compresser question

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

compresser question

Postby cgill » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:13 pm

hello, I have a 7 year old 2 ton ducane unit. 3 days ago I noticed my defrost wasnt working. tech came out and put a new defrost board on. he also put refrigerant in it (it was a little low but not bad). that night when the unit came on seemed to be working fine but when I got up during the night i noticed cool air coming out of my vents. I cut the unit of and cut it back on and the unit kicked on and then I heard a very loud grinding like noise wich it did 2 more times and finally the heat kicked on. after i called the tech out the next day he said he may have added to much refrigerant so he drained some and took the pressure. I go to bed and wake up to the same noise the next a.m. he comes back out and this time im bonedry on refrigerant. ive now got to change a reverser valve cause it has a leak. what im wandering is,is the grinding noise im hearing the compressor and is it going bad to.cgill
Emerging Contributor

- Fri Jan 07, 2011 - pm
cgill
Minimal

- compresser question

Postby juster » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:27 pm

Before adding refrigerant, mechanics should be doing leak testing. If you are low on refrigerant it is going somewhere. Should not add any until the leak is found and repairs made to stop the leak. As for the grinding noise. Some compressors may make a loud noise when starting. If this noise is not normal for your compressor, then when the tech come's out to make repairs, talk to him about it.
juster
Most Valued Contributor

- compresser question

Postby nomadpeo » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:18 am

ditto on juster's comment about leaks. it is a common problem......leaks not addressed. also, the amount of freon in the system is not guesswork. you are paying the bills, so make sure you address these questions with your tech.
nomadpeo
Most Valued Contributor

- compresser question

Postby heatseeker » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:31 pm

I know this is a old post but I'm bored so Here goes. sounds like the tech is pounding sand up your but. The way these companys work is if a tech has a call back it looks bad for him or her. So instead of taking blame for his misdiagnosis or screw up He's putting the problem on your wallet. If he admits fault the old boss will either make him pay for it or out he goes. Not all company's operate this way but most of your residential company's do. Got to get paid don't you know.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Return to HVAC General Forum