Burnt wiring in Air Handler

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

Burnt wiring in Air Handler

Postby mcgmari » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:54 pm

Accidentally switched on emergency heat on thermostat. Noticed later that the heat did not come on. Switched thermostat back to regular "heat" mode. Still did not come on. Replaced thermostat with same model from another level in home....and heat did not come on.

When the heat did not come on with another thermostat, then took off panel of Air Handler and discovered a burnt wiring problem. The blue wire that was connected to a thick major black wire had burnt and melted off the plastic connector. This Air Handler is only 5 months old...Amana ARUF 3642 16CA......could this thermostat (honeywell chronotherm III....14 years of age...) have caused this to burn and melt...just because I inadvertantly switched thermostat to Emergency Heat???
mcgmari
Minimal

- Burnt wiring in Air Handler

Postby 4ftBanger » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:24 am

I would say it's not very likely that the thermostat caused the burnt wire. The wiring inside the air handler is mostly factory installed - except for the power and thermostat connections made during installation. It is likely that a wire was connected improperly during installation, or a poor connection in the factory wiring was created by the manufacturer. This is definitely something to be investigated by a pro - especially since it may be covered by a warranty.
4ftBanger
Most Valued Contributor

Postby KristopherH » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:37 am

If you just bought it five months ago, is it still under warranty? I wouldn't think a wire would burn and melt like that because you set it to emergency heat. I would call the people that installed it and have them look at it. Hopefully it's still under warranty and won't cost much or anything. Where I live, one of the HVAC pros are **://-.mrquikhomeservices.-* **-*.
KristopherH
New Contributor

Postby aircooledtx » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:04 pm

**"mcgmari"-* switched on emergency heat on thermostat. Noticed later that the heat did not come on. Switched thermostat back to regular "heat" mode. Still did not come on. Replaced thermostat with same model from another level in home....and heat did not come on.

When the heat did not come on with another thermostat, then took off panel of Air Handler and discovered a burnt wiring problem. The blue wire that was connected to a thick major black wire had burnt and melted off the plastic connector. This Air Handler is only 5 months old...Amana ARUF 3642 16CA......could this thermostat (honeywell chronotherm III....14 years of age...) have caused this to burn and melt...just because I inadvertantly switched thermostat to Emergency Heat???*/-*

I would have called for warranty service , before I changed Thermostat. But, I would still call and ask WHY wires are burn't in air handler...Amana doesn't usually have issues unless wired improperly..
aircooledtx
Most Valued Contributor

Return to HVAC General Forum