Water Source heat Pump for swimming pool??

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

Water Source heat Pump for swimming pool??

Postby exmarine » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:03 pm

OK, I have a question that may sound far-fetched, but here goes; I have an un-heated in-ground swimming pool. I live in the Northeast, so the water temp rarley goes higher than 70F. (serious 'shrinkage' folks!)
I also have a brand new 5 ton water source heat pump that was given to me. I have no use for the heat pump, BUT started wondering; Can I utilize this heat pump to heat my pool? Using the cold water from the pool as the cooling source, which will pass through the heat pump as condenser water, and should (in theory) come out the return side approximately (guessing) 90-100F. I know (in theory) this is correct, BUT I'm not a tech, so am not sure of the negative variables involved here.. ie; chlorinated water passing through a copper coil, etc....
I know they make heat pumps specifically to heat pools, but this isn't one of them. This is a Carrier residential water souce heat pump (WSHP).
If anyone outh there knows the answer to this question, or just wants to play devil's advocate, please feel free!
OK, That's all folks!!!
Thanks
exmarine
Minimal

- Water Source heat Pump for swimming pool??

Postby aircooledtx » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:53 pm

**"exmarine"-*, I have a question that may sound far-fetched, but here goes; I have an un-heated in-ground swimming pool. I live in the Northeast, so the water temp rarley goes higher than 70F. (serious 'shrinkage' folks!)
I also have a brand new 5 ton water source heat pump that was given to me. I have no use for the heat pump, BUT started wondering; Can I utilize this heat pump to heat my pool? Using the cold water from the pool as the cooling source, which will pass through the heat pump as condenser water, and should (in theory) come out the return side approximately (guessing) 90-100F. I know (in theory) this is correct, BUT I'm not a tech, so am not sure of the negative variables involved here.. ie; chlorinated water passing through a copper coil, etc....
I know they make heat pumps specifically to heat pools, but this isn't one of them. This is a Carrier residential water souce heat pump (WSHP).
If anyone outh there knows the answer to this question, or just wants to play devil's advocate, please feel free!
OK, That's all folks!!!
*/-*

Won't work, need water to be cooled to at least 58* then pumped to pool , transfer would not be very good on 55,000 gallons of water.
aircooledtx
Most Valued Contributor

- Water Source heat Pump for swimming pool??

Postby Julia26 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:01 am

The swimming pool pump already recycle the water through the heater, and heats the entire basin. Fan air moves into the outer evaporator air coil that acts as a heat collector. The coil absorbs heat from the air and convert it to gas. This gas can be pumped into the compressor, which focuses on the fire and make it more effective. This super-heated gas now goes to the condenser heat exchanger, where heat is real.

gas pool heating
Julia26
Minimal

Return to HVAC General Forum