Goodman 2.5 ton heat pump noise

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

Goodman 2.5 ton heat pump noise

Postby alaska 41 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:01 pm

I have a new Goodman heat pump 14 seer with the R410A freon. Ever since it was hooked up last month the compressor makes a vibrating noise on start up. I know it starts under high pressure but it has a TXV valve on the evaporator. I had a hard start capacitor installed and it didn't make any difference. Is this normal?
alaska 41
Minimal

- Goodman 2.5 ton heat pump noise

Postby nomadpeo » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:05 am

not sure the noise you're referring to, but if you are used to a reciprocating compressor in your old unit, the scroll compressor in your new one may sound different on startup
nomadpeo
Most Valued Contributor

Postby alaska 41 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:17 pm

I have a Goodman 2.5 ton with the scroll compressor with R22 and it doesn't make this noise on start up. The compressor sounds like it isn't getting enough power to start and it has 30' # 10 wire running to it. Once it starts you can't hear it run. Could it be the fan doing this on start up? May be I will unhook the fan and see if it is the culprit. Its probably more like a loud buzzing sound.
alaska 41
Minimal

Postby nomadpeo » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:54 pm

it sounds like it could be over-amping on start up. the start assist didn't change it. to be sure whether the current draw is normal on startup, a current meter would need to be used. also the running current after startup should be compared to the rla rating on the name plate. it is possible there is a run capacitor problem as well. i'm curious what the technician had to say about it when he installed the hard start kit. if it wasn't a technician, sounds like you are going to need one to run some tests. how new is it ? do you still have a labor warranty ?
nomadpeo
Most Valued Contributor

Postby specialtyclimate » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:06 pm

is it mounted on wall brackets on the side of your house? the lineset should have 2 hard elbos installed on it to keep the harmonic resonance sound down from the scroll compressor, see how the lineset is supported, is it rubbing floor joists? if it is on wall brackets have them put it on the ground....
specialtyclimate
Regular Contributor

Postby heatseeker » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:12 am

Your unit could be overcharged, also some scroll compressors do need a break in period to loosen up a bit but more than likely a freon issue.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Postby nomadpeo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:30 pm

agree with the overcharge as a possible theory. performance should not be up to par if that is the case. subcooling will need to be checked to verify.
nomadpeo
Most Valued Contributor

Return to HVAC General Forum