Dayton (York) not blowing cold

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

Dayton (York) not blowing cold

Postby bluesclues » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:04 pm

I have a 2+ year old Dayton model number AC036X1322A (York) not blowing cold. Low psi side is 15-20 and hi side is 170-180 psi. Both lines at condenser are not showing any significant temperature change (No sweating). Outside temperature is 90 degrees and humidity is 33%. Compressor does kick on. I definately need help.
bluesclues
New Contributor

- Dayton (York) not blowing cold

Postby nomadpeo » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:50 pm

sounds like it's low on freon. you will need a tech to verify.
nomadpeo
Most Valued Contributor

Postby specialtyclimate » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:09 pm

either low on charge or you have a bad txv...
specialtyclimate
Regular Contributor

Postby nomadpeo » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:53 pm

i doubt if the txv is not feeding. both pressures are low...classic low freon pressures. a tech can verify freon level by calculating subcooling if the metering device is a txv, then verifying refrigerant feed by calculating superheat. if the md is fixed, the superheat can be calculated to verify freon level. get someone trained and qualified. if it is low, make sure they find the leak and address it.
nomadpeo
Most Valued Contributor

Postby bluesclues » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:37 pm

My a/c tech replaced the TXV. But now have a new problem. The system is showing about 150 psi on the high side and about 10 psi on the suction side. We have adjusted the txv but found that we had to open it (counter clockwise) all the way to get the 10 psi. If we start to close the txv (clockwise) a half a turn or more, then the low side goes into a vacuum (10 inches) but the high side stays the same at 150 PSI. The expansion valve starts to freeze up but the rest of the coil is not cold. My a/c tech is an old timer so, he's thinking of taking out the txv and installing an oriface in it. I remember when we first installed my a/c /heating three years ago. He and I ran into a similar problem. That's when I got on this web site and had a response to my post that appeared to solve the mystery. I tried to pull up the old post but couldn't find it. Is there a way to pull up the old posts? I don't think they go back that far. It had something to do with releasing the pressure on one side of the txv to equalize it. It's been so long that I don't quite remember, but it did work. Does anyone have an idea of what the problem could be.
I am adding this information as I believe it will help in diagnosing the problem. The expansion valve is a Parker SE 3 VW. The txv is externally equalized.
bluesclues
New Contributor

Postby nomadpeo » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:12 pm

sounds like the power cap has lost its charge. this is the part of the valve that is mounted on top with a capilary tube on it. the other end is a bulb and should be clamped to the suction line after the evaporator. this provides feeback to the valve to meter the right amount of refrigerant. it is charged with a chemical with the same properties as the freon in the system. it is a closed loop of pressure and if it is ruptured, the valve will shut down . the compressor continues to suck in vapor, but with no feed into the evaporator, the evaporator and suction line are evacuated by the compressor into a vacuum. i don't really know if the power cap is removable on that model, but if it is, replacing it will probably fix the problem.

did your tech install a brand new valve ? if so, he should know this is the problem and the part should be under warranty. sounds like you have a long term relationship with this service man. ask him why he wants to convert it. if you totally trusted his judgment, you wouldn't be asking us. was the new problem discovered by him at the time of installation or did it cool and then quit cooling ? if the latter, then the capilary was probably touching something with vibration causing it to rub a hole.

the first set of symptoms were not the same as the second set. justy curious...when both pressures were low, did he attempt to add freon to the system ? what were the results. you seem to have the technical data from his efforts. did both the pressures come up ?
nomadpeo
Most Valued Contributor

Postby bluesclues » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:48 pm

Thanks nomadpeo. the power cap is not removable. The txv was new. I had purchased it when we originally installed the a/c, so it's past the warranty period. As for totally trusting the guy, it's more of having total confidence in him. He is an old timer soon to retire so I guess when it comes to real diagnostics, he's not as sharp. Don't get me wrong, he's a good tech but better at R and R. After he replaced the valve, the system cooled for almost 2 weeks. The first incident he added freon. That didn't work. The low side was 90 psi (overcharged). That's when he changed the valve. After that the system had to be discharged till he got to about 64 psi After the next day it settled at 58. The a/c worked for nearly 2 weeks with low side at about 58 and hi side at about 185, then after 2 weeks,thats when the suction side dropped to 10 psi and high side was 150. Actually the low side goes to vacuum when turning the valve clockwise as previosly noted. My tech doesn't have much confidenc in a txv. I can't say I blame him after going through 2 valves. Is there any disadvantages to going to an oriface?
bluesclues
New Contributor

Postby heatseeker » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:45 am

mistake number 1 is you fooled with superheat setting. It sounds like you have a restriction in you system somewhere or bad txv defenatly not an easy problem to fix.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Return to HVAC General Forum