air conditioning

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

air conditioning

Postby nalifan » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:45 pm

hi

i have an air intake in the front of the house, when i put a tissue against it the intake vent holds the tissue there so i know the air is being pulled in. the front of the house also blows air out of the floor vents.

i have another air intake in the back of the house, when i put a tissue against it the tissue just falls to the ground. the intake isn't sucking any air. the vents at the back of the house don't blow any air at all. the vent covers are cold to the touch but the back rooms in the house are not cooling down at all.

is there any way to fix it this?
the intake vent in the front (one that works) is twice as wide as the intake in the back of the house, but there are two intakes in the back of the house though, niether of them suck in the air.

any help would be great, thanks.

just to add, i have drop ceiling in the basement so i can touch the ducts. the ducts in the front of the house are cold, the ducts in the back of the house are warm.
nalifan
Minimal

- air conditioning

Postby heatseeker » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:33 am

sounds like you need to do some attic diving. Look at your ductwork and see if there is any damage. then go from there.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

- air conditioning

Postby surenuff » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:20 pm

If the vents at the back of the house are cold to the touch, then we are getting some air to them, probably just not enough. It is a documented fact that 70% of the ductwork installations are done incorrectly. It sound to me that you are a victom of these statistics. If you are not getting enough airflow to the back vents, then we either have an insuffecient blower, or ductwork problems on the supply or return side or both. Call a professional in your area to look at the unit and the duct work. They should be able to identify the probles areas.
surenuff
Regular Contributor

Return to HVAC General Forum