Heat pump overheating?

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

Heat pump overheating?

Postby mark sullivan » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:40 pm

About 2 days ago I notice our A/C wasnt cold and was getting hotter. Went out to the heat pump and noticed the condenser fan was not on. After removing power from the unit I was able to see that the fan motor seized up. So I go over Granger and pickup a Dayton replacement motor, install it and now it is overheating and shutting down. While removing the top of the Heatpump to get to the fan motor I noticed that the heat pump's pump appeared to have been hot by the color of the paint. It was reddish but it wasn't rust. It look like the color of steel that has been heated.

So the question is, what would cause a heat pump to operate at much higher temps that would cause the condensor fan to overheat like this. Im in Dallas and the temperature as been over 100 for days now. Im keeping cool by dripping water on the top of the heat pump to keep the fan motor from going into thermal OL.

Im sure Ill need pro to figure this out.......
mark sullivan
New Contributor

- Heat pump overheating?

Postby mark sullivan » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:08 pm

When the fan shut down I staid with it for some time for it to cool and I could hear the temp switch click back in. When it shuts down the heat pump stay running but I havent observed the heat pump itself shutting down per se. I did not replace the cap only because the new motor started fine during test and after I completed its installation. We have never seen 109-110 degrees ambient and I just wonder if that has anything to do with the thermal shut down on the fan. I will get a new cap just to eliminate that possibility. meanwhile the water is still dripping onto the fan mount to keep it going. 'preciate the feedback!
mark sullivan
New Contributor

- Heat pump overheating?

Postby mark sullivan » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:10 pm

Oh yes, I did give the coils a good rinsing from the inside and outside.
mark sullivan
New Contributor

- Heat pump overheating?

Postby heatseeker » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:23 am

I'll bet you were real proud when that motor started up too. All that money you saved. Question - did you match the rpm and voltage? What about the amp draw, and for that matter how do you know that the capacitor is the right one? I'll bet it isn't you better check it out.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Return to HVAC General Forum