Replacing an "Insider" Heat Pump

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

Replacing an "Insider" Heat Pump

Postby timothylolita » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:25 pm

My condo has an all electric, all self contained in an indoor closet heat pump called the "Insider" model # CSHP18A05RC The company(Consolidated Technology Corp) went out of business 10 years ago. There is no outside equipment, only two large 30 foot ducts to bring in outside air and exhaust it. It is an upright unit of 18,000 BTU's. Since it is 15 years old, noisy and eats electicity I am looking to replace it. Does anybody know which brands make a similar unit. Looking in from the open closet door the conditioned air supply exits from the right side, bottom. The return air from the condo enters the front, bottom via a large grill in the closet door. The outdoor intake air goes in the top half of the backside and exits out the top of the cabinet. Nothing on the left side. I have searched many manufacturers web sites to no avail. Any clues on a replacement would be much appreciated. Thanks
timothylolita
New Contributor

- Replacing an "Insider" Heat Pump

Postby heatseeker » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:17 am

This unit has a air cooled condenser"? It is located in a closet?
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Postby timothylolita » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:50 pm

Yes it has an air cooled condenser and it is located in a closet. Any ideas? Thanks, Tim
timothylolita
New Contributor

Postby heatseeker » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:10 pm

Why don't you upgrade to a split system? This unit sounds very rare and impractical.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Postby timothylolita » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:03 pm

I would love a split system. However, our small partially enclosed balcony on the 15th floor would be half used up and I doubt it would be allowed anyway. Plus there is no access to the small space above the ceiling. So I am back to either repairing an old inefficent unit or looking for a newer indoor replacement. With all the condos and apartments that may have a similar setup, there must be one or two manufacturers out there. Anybody know of one? Thanks, Tim
timothylolita
New Contributor

Postby timothylolita » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:03 pm

I would love a split system. However, our small partially enclosed balcony on the 15th floor would be half used up and I doubt it would be allowed anyway. Plus there is no access to the small space above the ceiling. So I am back to either repairing an old inefficent unit or looking for a newer indoor replacement. With all the condos and apartments that may have a similar setup, there must be one or two manufacturers out there. Anybody know of one? Thanks, Tim
timothylolita
New Contributor

Postby heatseeker » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:56 am

sounds like you are in a tuff spot You could check out florida heat pumps or first company they usually have strange applications.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Return to HVAC General Forum