Green Plants for Quality Indoor Air

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

Green Plants for Quality Indoor Air

Postby westcanadian01 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:28 am

I think part of today's living is how we can maintain the green environment and if you asked where to start with I think a good start should be from our home. Hence I would like to share this article I've read.

Plants have always held a special place in my heart. I appreciate the beauty of their seemingly effortless transition from small, delicate seed to sturdy tree donning flower, fruit, or other hint of life. Growing up in a rural area, I fell in love with the lush greenery and beauty that plants freely provide the world (not even including oxygen and food so necessary for our survival). As such, when I moved into the city to find a job, I was disappointed to move into a world that felt rather dead. The jungle of steel, concrete, and smog felt so painful to my eyes, and I yearned for the greenery of home. I settled into my apartment—which seemed as dead as the city—and soon enough it occurred to me that introducing indoor plants into my space would be a great way to reconnect with my desire for the lush and green, if not just a little. There are many different ways people improve indoor air quality in their homes—and with cleaning air ducts and properly servicing your heating and air conditioning systems, keeping indoor plants can drastically enhance the atmosphere of your space.

I’ve noticed that many people are actually hesitant to put plants into their homes. Reasons differ from “I’m allergic to pollen, and I’m afraid putting plants in my house could trigger my allergies” or “placing plants in the house could attract insects” to “the plant might die from lack of sunlight.” Though allergies and insects are important considerations, they are issues easily avoided. Improving indoor air quality becomes even more important for those that suffer allergies, so remedying these issues and finding a way to keep indoor plants may be even more advantageous. There are also some general psychological and emotional benefits to keeping plants. Rooms in your house will appear a bit fresher, energized, and a bit more like home. For me, indoor plants come to represent the familiarity of home, but even if you spent your entire life in the concrete jungle there are some incredible benefits. Even a mere plant can give you a sense of satisfaction in nurturing and caring for it. Enhanced environment reduces stress and relaxes as well, making your space overall healthier—in all aspects of the word.

So how does one go about eliminating these issues to find the freedom to have house plants? For those who are allergic to pollen or asthmatic, choose plants that don’t have flowers like palms or cacti. It is the flowering plants that usually exacerbate allergic or asthmatic conditions, due to the pollination process. As for the dust that may come from the soil in the flower pots, you may use an electrostatic filter that filters up to 90% of dust circulating inside your home, or air purifiers as well. For those who are afraid that plants might attract insects remember - in my experience, having crumbs of food on the floor has a much greater chance of attracting insects than having plants in the house. If you are worried that indoor plants will die inside the house due to lack of sunlight, there are a few different solutions. Regularly cleaning your home—including both high traffic and spill areas like the kitchen, as well as more discreet areas like air ducts and basements will stave off insects, reduce the buildup of allergens, and reduce the likelihood of mold growth.

Making sure to position plants in direct sunlight through windows, or placing them outside once or twice a week will keep them healthy. Plants don’t die right away if not seen by the sun for a few days, but do take note of the signs when you need to take them out. Yellowing of the leaves and wilting are sure signs that your plants are dying and need to be repositioned. There are also many varieties of plants that require less sun than others. Look for those that require minimal sunlight if the layout of your home is not conducive to your plants. Be sure to educate yourself on how often the plants you choose need watered, as it will vary by variety. With the right approach, anyone can keep household plants effectively, and without causing significant allergic reactions.

With the smallest changes, you can go to dramatically improve your indoor air quality within your space, providing a better atmosphere for the health of you and your family. With a combination of proper home maintenance, servicing of your HVAC system, regular cleaning, and a great assortment of houseplants, you will be on your way to breathing right—and a little bit closer to the lush green that we so often miss in our day to day life.
Last edited by juster on Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: link to other web site
westcanadian01
Most Valued Contributor

- Green Plants for Quality Indoor Air

Postby heatseeker » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:37 am

touching
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Postby westcanadian01 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:02 pm

I'm glad you appreciate it but I think would be better if we start the green living today simply with our indoor plants..
westcanadian01
Most Valued Contributor

Postby GasFitter » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:12 pm

I totally agree with your post. I am an activly try to post these topics and have looked at in depth.
We are getting different cancers and even as far as birth defects.
I had heard about plants effects and it is obvious they work as "lungs" for the home.
There are so mnay simple tricks to feeling better, here is my post if you want to read a simipar topic.
*.ca/pregnancy-indoor-air-quality/

Thanks,

GasFitter
GasFitter
Minimal

Postby westcanadian01 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:50 pm

You post is absolutely great! This is really interesting and informative site. Hope more and more are become more aware about this and how we can promote green living in our indoor place thru clean and well maintained home appliances.
westcanadian01
Most Valued Contributor

Return to HVAC General Forum