Thermostat installation wiring help

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

Thermostat installation wiring help

Postby dreamkauai » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:18 pm

I am replacing an older thermostat (Honeywell T8085R 1015) with a Honeywell THM5320R. The T8085R wires are currently connected to X(C)-blue, W2-white, O-orange, R-red, G-black, Y-yellow. Unfortunately the installation guide for a Heat Pump setup does not show this as an option. My guess would be to connect C-blue, R-red, W O/B-orange, Y-yellow, Y2-white, G-black. Please let me know what would be correct.

Thanks.

OK, after further review, I believe my guess would be incorrect. I think my best bet would be to just connect it as - C-blue, W2 AUX/E-white, W O/B-orange, R-red, Y-yellow, G-black. Since this is not one of the suggested methods of installation in the guide book I'd appreciate any input whether this would work.

Thanks
dreamkauai
Minimal

- Thermostat installation wiring help

Postby dreamkauai » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:00 pm

Thanks for the reply. Those were the connections I made as well as the heat pump selection.

I did a quick test last night. The lights on the THM5320R display correctly when cooling is selected and the fan comes on. Unfortunately, I am not getting any cold air. Any thoughts? I was thinking that the R connection may not be making good contact. I remember when putting that wire in that it still felt loose due to the jumper wire that is already there. I'll have to check it out when I get back home tonight. Hmm, would the THM5320R even show power if there was not an R connection?

TIA
dreamkauai
Minimal

Return to HVAC General Forum