Indoor blower motor

Problems related to residential installations.

Indoor blower motor

Postby LDale » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:19 pm

I posted this in another forum to hopefully get an answer to this faster. Hope you all don't mind.

I have a weird problem that I've never experienced before. My blower motor is always getting power to it, sometimes it just hums and sometimes it runs at low speeds. I've checked to make sure the thermostat wire isn't shorted, and I even checked the control board ( I had a spare, brand new). Before all this happened, I smelt something, almost like a burning smell so immediately I thought the motor was shot and took it out to inspect it. I didn't smell anything but noticed it was rather warm. Any ideas as to what might of happened? I've come across bad motors before in the field but, I haven't seen them where they actually run on their own before and don't spin freely like mine does. Then again, I've only been doing this for about a year and a half now.
LDale
Minimal

- Indoor blower motor

Postby Freon » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:26 pm

I will assume it's a PSC motor with a run capacitor. The capacitor could be your problem or there could be issues with the windings. If the motor has not been subject to overheating I would replace the capacitor first. It's an inexpensive part and a few minutes to replace. TURN OFF THE POWER when you do this. If the capacitor does not help, I'm afraid you may need a new motor. Take it to an electric motor shop for a definitive diagnosis. Be sure to replace it with an identical motor as far as rpm, horsepower and direction of rotation.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential