No heat today

Problems related to residential installations.

No heat today

Postby Nashville Slim » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:21 pm

Hi Folks,

I am having a problem with my gas furnace that's over 10 years old. I have had to re-light my pilot light 2 times this week. This morning I re-lit it and everything worked swell. Unfortunately, now the burners are not working. My pilot light is lit, the fan works, but the burners remain off.

Suggestions on how to fix?

Thanks
Nashville Slim
Minimal

- No heat today

Postby juster » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:53 am

There are a number of safety controls that prevent the flame from lighting. You can try to cut the power off and turn it back on to reset anything that may need resetting. Short of that if you are not technicality inclined you should call a tech.
juster
Most Valued Contributor

- No heat today

Postby Freon » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:39 pm

There is a sensor that tells the gas valve your pilot light is on. If there is no pilot, there won't be any main burner. The fact your pilot went out 2 times suggests that pilot sensor is old and tired. It is not expensive and should be replaced UNLESS there is another explanation for the pilot going out. One possibility is a cracked heat exchanger allowing the main air blower to blow out the pilot through a crack in the heat exchanger.

One way to see if a cracked heat exchanger may be the problem is to light the pilot, and then watch the flame carefully while someone else calls for the FAN only (no heat or cool). If you notice the pilot flame start to dance then it's possible you're seeing the effects of the air coming from the heat exchanger. If the pilot remains rock-solid then replace the flame sensor.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential