Armstrong Ultra 80SX Intermittent short cycle

Problems related to residential installations.

- Armstrong Ultra 80SX Intermittent short cycle

Postby Gunny1966 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:36 am

Well its been a couple days, furnace will run constant some times and then erratic others (flame shutting down and then firing up again. Any thoughts on the Gas valve being the problem (part # VR8204H 1097). I have a limit switch ready to be picked up and will probably install just to cover all bases and its less than 10 bucks. Again thanks for any suggestions
Gunny1966
New Contributor

Postby Gunny1966 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:14 am

Well I think I may have solved the problem. Dismantled the thermostat (Carrier programable) and jumped the R and W furnace running without interruption. Could hear the stat click calling for heat so didn't think to even look at it. It has a couple 6 pin connections and maybe there is a bad connection there or somewhere else within. Either way its getting replaced today. Will update.
Gunny1966
New Contributor

Postby heatseeker » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:17 pm

Uh this might sound like a dumb question but didn't you say you had a qualified tech that you paid look at your system? If he did not check the t-stat first than he should give you your money back at least for the service call. I assumed the dude new what he was doing. Apparently he dosn't know very much about troubleshooting.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Postby Gunny1966 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:51 pm

Yes, a young tech, but with 12 years experience. Seemed qualified, charged us 170, came back second time at no charge. I kinda ran with it from there replacing the things he said he would do next. None seemed to correct the issue. Will install new stat and make sure that is the fix and then maybe make a courtesy call to the company and have a chat at least give them feedback. Found them thru Angieslist, highly recommended by others. Decided it was cheaper to throw parts at it then have them come back, at least learned a lot about my furnace in the process.
Again thanks for all the suggestions and support.
Gunny1966
New Contributor

Previous

Return to Residential