Pump problems

Problems related to residential installations.

Pump problems

Postby xyz123 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:00 am

I have been having problems with my split system AC and it's driving me crazy. The problem is, I live in a town house and I live in the corner unit. Due to the body coorporate rule, no pipes should be seen from the outside while all bedrooms are on the second floor, facing to the front of the road. Hence we had pump installed behind the ceiling and piping that runs horizontally to drain the water out to the outside. The first contractor who installed it was a nightmare, the ac leaked then we could feel the pump vibrating throught out the house. Also, I could hear water dripping behind the ceiling and sometimes behind the wall. We asked them to fix it but ... it leaks again and again. I'm sorry, I might not be using the right terms here. I wish someone would understand what I'm trying to ask.

Last year I had another contractor to fix the ac up and they fixed the leakage and said that I should get a bigger pump if it leaks again. Now summer is here again, once again water is dripping continously behind the wall. Then today I had the same contractor to see what is actually happening, apparently the pipe was disconnected from the pump, which explains the water dripping and he fixed it. The contractor said that this ac system with pump running behind the ceiling is a stupid system that creates constant problems. But nothing else we could do, because this is the only way we could do to have ac in our bedrooms. Not long after the contractor left, I heard water dripping on the ceiling ! Gosh.

What should I do? Anyone can explain ? Thanks.
xyz123
New Contributor

- Pump problems

Postby heatseeker » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:32 am

A condensation leak should not be that hard to fix why don't you post some pictures. I assume this is a ductless split system if so they can be a mess if not installe4d correctly.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

- Pump problems

Postby Freon » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:41 am

Let's try and understand your system first. A split system has 2 main components... the condenser unit that's outside and then the indoor evaporator coil and air handler inside. Many times the indoor air handler is also the furnace with the evaporator coil added.

Now when the AC operates, there will be water condensing on the indoor evaporator coil. Usually it drips into a shallow pan and, by gravity and then flows through PVC piping to the outside.

Now you mention a pump. Is this pump used to pump the evaporator condensation because gravity will not work... the outlet point is higher than the evaporator pan? Is the evaporator condensation water discharge tied into your house plumbing?

Is it possible what you think is water dripping might be the R-22 refrigerant flowing through the system? Have you seen any water stains?

The more you can describe the physical layout of the system, the better your answers will be.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

- Pump problems

Postby xyz123 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:21 am

Thank you for the replies...

Yes, we need a pump because the discharge pipe sits horizontally behind the ceiling while the condenser unit is sitting ontop of the roof above level 1 .I don't think so that the discharge pipe ties in to the house plumbing. I am not sure if I'm answering all of your question. Another contractor is comming in few days time, I would like to get another opinion. I don't totally understand how the system worked, it wasn't me who installed them. I will ask the contractor and will update my post.

Now, I don't really understand why I need a pump to drain the water out.........

Anyway, I am not sure what happened here, but I no longer hear any dripping noise behind the ceiling but the vibration from the pump is slightly annoying. Is there anything else that could be done to reduce the vibration from the pump ? There is insulation around it but the contractor said adding more insulation might overheat the pump.
xyz123
New Contributor

- Pump problems

Postby heatseeker » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:08 am

Overheat the pump That's an excuse to not do anything at all, this guy sounds like he's taking you for a ride good thing you are using another contractor.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

- Pump problems

Postby xyz123 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:26 am

I did my own research on how to reduce vibration from pumps, and I found out about reflective silencer ? Could it work with this pump that has been creating loud vibrations at my place ?
xyz123
New Contributor

- Pump problems

Postby heatseeker » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:25 pm

Just put some rubber under the unit and that will work.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

- Pump problems

Postby Freon » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:36 pm

Vibration noise will propagate directly through the floor where the pump sits so heatseeker's idea is a great solution. And there's also the noise propagated through the PVC piping going in and out of the pump. For that, cut a small section of the PVC piping on both sides (in and out) and insert a piece of rubber hose using hose clamps. This method also works in HVAC metal ducting noise issues.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential