Wood Furnace Plumbed into the Same Ductwork as Gas Furnace

Problems related to residential installations.

Wood Furnace Plumbed into the Same Ductwork as Gas Furnace

Postby robhsmith » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:45 am

I currently have a propane furnace heating my house. I recently bought a wood furnace to try to cut down on heating bills this winter (2.79GAL!!!!) I can plum it into one register directly but I would like the heat to disperse somewhat evenly throughout the whole house. My idea is, plumb a duct directly from the plenum on the wood furnace, into my existing duct work for my propane furnace. Is this ok to do? Would running both at the same time impact the blower motors on either furnace? Or would it be best to turn off the propane furnace while using the wood?
Thanks in advance
robhsmith
Minimal

- Wood Furnace Plumbed into the Same Ductwork as Gas Furna

Postby brack86svo » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:28 am

I would run a duct from the wood stove to the return on your gas furnace. Run the wood stove and put the fan on your gas furnace to on and have it circulate air through the house. I would run it this way and see how the temperature is in the house without using gas. If the wood stove doesn't keep up, you could run the gas to make up for the difference and still reduce your gas consumption. Running it this way should have no effect on fan itself.
brack86svo
Minimal

Postby heatseeker » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:16 pm

Are you crazy? Where does the smoke go that is coming off the wood? Unless there is some kind of heat exchanger to keep the smoke seperate from the air I don't see how it could work. Pleas explain.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Postby Freon » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:28 pm

I would put the house air side of the wood furnace heat exchanger in series with the return ducting, as previously suggested. That way air returning to the duct distribution system will be heated and then sent throughout the house. NOTE, I assume this is a WOOD FURNACE, not a wood stove. Leaving the gas furnace thermostat fan set to ON and the thermostat set to the house temperature you want will let the gas furnace run when the wood furnace can't keep up
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby heatseeker » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:55 pm

plumb.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential