3 flashes on Comfortmaker

Problems related to residential installations.

3 flashes on Comfortmaker

Postby dkathletic » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:52 pm

I have a Comfortmaker furnace. The fire is kicking off mid-cycle, or just not starting up at all. Both blowers are working fine. From what I am reading, it could be a bad pressure switch, or an obstruction in the exhaust valve. I just tried checking for obstructions and cleaning the hose in intakes to the pressure switch. It seems to be working now, but I'm not sure for how long. Should I try to replace the pressure switch if this continues or could it be something much more extensive. Any help you can help me out with here would be great! I haven't called a tech yet. I of course like most off us am trying not spend Christmas money if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance!!!
dkathletic
Minimal

- 3 flashes on Comfortmaker

Postby Freon » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:59 pm

Your symptoms could indicate 2 possible issues. The fire cutting off in mid heating cycle could be a high temperature limit safety in the heat exchanger saying you do not have enough house air flowing through the furnace. Make sure ALL supply registers (air out) are open and all return registers (air in) are not obstructed. Make sure all filters are new. Eliminate this as a possible cause as I doubt it is the problem based on the no-ignition symptoms you also described.

The other possibility is that the draft inducer is not producing the required air flow for the combustion air and the pressure switch is opening. You have checked and cleaned the piping. Next suggestion is remove the inducer and make sure the blower wheel (squirrel cage) is clean. And then check the motor for play in the bearings by wiggling the blower wheel. Those motors live a horrid life, always exposed to high heat. Maybe a little oil run down the motor shaft will buy you time.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

- 3 flashes on Comfortmaker

Postby heatseeker » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:45 am

Did you say it is working now just keep us posted.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential