Ruud Silhouette UGDG 12EARJR blower start up noise

Problems related to residential installations.

Ruud Silhouette UGDG 12EARJR blower start up noise

Postby arguello » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:41 am

when the blower starts up it sounds like a turbon then noise goes away. I replaced the capacitor and doing the same thing? Motor bad or blower (squirrel cage) bad?
arguello
New Contributor

- Ruud Silhouette UGDG 12EARJR blower start up noise

Postby Freon » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:51 pm

Turn off power. Open the blower compartment so you can physically hold the blower wheel. Move the blower wheel right/left and up/dowm relative to the blower motor shaft axis. Do you feel excessive play... does it wiggle? Spin the blower wheel by hand. Does it spin freely and very quietly, continuing to rotate for several seconds? If it's quiet and no play, then I would say the motor bearings are okay.

Check the blower motor mounts. Usually there are some rubber 'feet' that help absorb vibration. Lastly turn on the power with the thermostat set to less than room temperature (no call for heat). Leave the blower compartment door open. Examine the blower compartment for a switch that's closed when the door is in place. Find that switch and make sure it's open (no power will get to the blower). Now at the thermostat call for FAN only (Fan set to ON). Now go back to the furnace and, by hand, CAREFULLY close the switch you found at the blower compartment. Make sure you stay far away from any exposed wires attached to the switch (120 volts AC). You should see the blower motor start to rotate. Watch and listen. Tell us if you notice anything odd.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby arguello » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:00 pm

No play in the blower wheel left or right. Wheel spins freely but not easily a bit stiff. No noise while spinning wheel by hand.

Blower mounts appear to be secure.

Door open and FAN ONLY turned ON. Blower did not activate? Could hear it "click" on? but did not activate blower motor to spin wheel?
arguello
New Contributor

Postby heatseeker » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:16 pm

blower motor blown up.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Postby arguello » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:04 pm

Blown up motor???? Blower motor still activates when thermo calls for heat...? Motor still no good?
arguello
New Contributor

Postby Freon » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:55 am

"Door open and FAN ONLY turned ON. Blower did not activate? Could hear it "click" on? but did not activate blower motor to spin wheel?"

Did you find the safety switch at the blower compartment door and press that? The click you heard could be a relay on the control board activated by the FAN-ON at the thermostat but if the blower compartment door safety switch is not also closed, the motor will not get 120 V.

The blower wheel should spin freely. Your noise MAY be from the bearings but until you can watch it spin-up to speed and listen, it's only a guess.

Check the wiring diagram that may be on the blower compartment door. It should show you where the blower door safety switch is... or is not.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby arguello » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:13 am

Appears to be only ONE visible safety switch associated with the door? Why its not activating the blower motor in FAN ONLY I don't know. So I am unable to visually look at the motor and blower wheel working.

When listening to the furnace cycle and its to the stage of cycling the blower wheel, it sounds like the motor lacks power in the beginning to spin the Blower Wheel but once it gets going the "turbine" like noise at start up reduces to normal and the blower wheel sounds like its spinning/working the way it should.

So I will assume that its the motor going bad, since the capacitor was replaced with a new one. ?
arguello
New Contributor

Postby how » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:01 am

In my area there are many newer thermostats set up on older two wire systems resulting in thermostat fan controls switches that will not operate. It might sound stupid but did your fan normally come on before with the thermostat fan switch?

A fan cage that doesn't spin easily (stiff) almost always means the motor is suspect. You can have blower/ voltage/ wrong capaciter/ or board problems but a stiff feeling blower wheel spin is a mechanical motor problem. Are there oil ports on the motor?

How many wires are atttached to your motor?
I have sometimes minimized a motor turbine sound on an ailing multi speed motor by choosing a different motor speed but that is best left to an HVAC tech as it will effect other important aspects of your system that need to be measured.
how
Most Valued Contributor

Postby arguello » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:02 pm

Believe it or not I never used the FAN ONLY switch.

Well I purchased the capacitor the furnace called for, it appears to be the same kind. No oil ports on the motor, sealed.

Seven (7) wires total attached to the motor.. ( red,white,blue,yellow, and black) (two (2) brown-capacitor.
arguello
New Contributor

Postby heatseeker » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:52 am

blower motor blown up.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential