Rheem Criterion II Problems

Problems related to residential installations.

Rheem Criterion II Problems

Postby macrayc » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:32 am

Strange behavior from our Rheem Criterion II furnace - model RGDG-07EAUER. When I increase the temp above room temp and press the "hold" button on the thermostat nothing happens but when I decrease the temp below room temperature and press the "hold" button I hear the relay click. I'll then increae the temp above room temperature and press the "hold" button, the relay clicks and furnace ignites to desired temp. After desired temp is reached it shuts down with out an issue. However, a couple of minutes later the fan/blower comes on and the flame never ignites - only blows unheated air.
macrayc
Minimal

- Rheem Criterion II Problems

Postby 4ftBanger » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:14 am

Based on your description I'd be surprised if the two issues are related...

The thermostat relay issue is certainly something inside the thermostat itself. I've had some pretty squirrely problems with newer thermostats. Due to the increased functionality, the circuits and component parts are made much smaller and, I believe, less reliable. I'd replace the thermostat to solve at least that issue.

The blower coming on could also be a problem with the thermostat sending the fan signal when it isn't necessary (bad relay or miswiring) It also might be a fan timer or fan control issue with the furnace itself, although If it were the fan control I would expect the symptoms to appear a little less predictably.

It's also possible that it is normal... There are a couple reasons that a furnace blower might come on by itself, especially right after a call for heat ends.
* The fan could be activated by a temperature sensor and these sensors grow less accurate over time so it may shut off the fan prematurely and then as residual heat radiates from the heat exchanger it reactivates the fan for a second (third.. etc) cycle.

*an airflow restriction like dirty filters or dirty ac coil could cause the heat exchanger to overheat and after the blower shuts off it could be activating a temperature limit control which typically would turn on the blower and exhaust motors.
4ftBanger
Most Valued Contributor

- Rheem Criterion II Problems

Postby heatseeker » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:51 am

4ftbanger just about covered it.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential