Heat pump problem?

Problems related to residential installations.

- Heat pump problem?

Postby RWestman » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:38 pm

Today was the first day I had time to work on the unit....

I open the box where the Temp Switch is located. In the box is the Temp Switch and a Black item with lugs on it. The lugs have wires coming from the Temp Switch and out of the box.

I disconnected the wires coming from the Temp Switch to the Black item. PLEASE - The wires coming from Temp Switch also has wires which leave the box. I was not able to disconnect those wires. If necessary I could trace the wires up to the main unit circuit board.

When I put the Ohm meter onto the wires coming from the Temp Switch the reading REMAINED at 0.00 while turning the Temp Selector Knob. I did hear a "click" when turning the knob.

- Should the reading be 0.00 (closed) or show an Open reading when the main unit needs to be cutout of the system? In other words if I set the Temp Switch to 30 degrees and the outside temperature in below 30 degrees I "assume" the reading should show OPEN. Am I correct?

Thank you,

Ron
RWestman
New Contributor

- Heat pump problem?

Postby RWestman » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:40 pm

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to this problem....

I purchased and installed a new cutoff switch. I checked the new switch with a VOM and it functions properly.

The system still will not shut off when the switch is installed.

Is it possible to possible digital pictures of the way the switch is installed and then have someone tell me if the wiring is done wrong?

I would really like to fix this problem before the weather turns cold.

Thank you
RWestman
New Contributor

Previous

Return to Residential