Lennox Pulse21

Problems related to residential installations.

Lennox Pulse21

Postby stevcho » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:14 pm

Hello everyone, first use of the forums, unfortunately.

So the problem is that I have a Lennox Pulse21 of unknown age in my home I purchased several years ago and never had any trouble with it until this current winter about a month ago. I installed a newer thermostat on it for some features, but it was before last winter and has had no problems there as far as I know.

The furnace has been doing a wierd series of problems where it will not kick on unless our thermostat is set for a much higher temperature than it normally would * to something like 3-5 degrees higher than the room temperature it * and in addition to this it often shuts off soon after coming on. Sometimes I hear it click, run for a bit then shut off before it heats any. The fan will kick on a lot and if any heat fires up it's for a very short time. I can sometimes trick it into coming on by shutting the thermostat to off, flipping the pilot to off then back to on soon after * PILOT option, it's just on or *, but these methods don't always work, or it waits 10-15 minutes before it fires up. I found a new trick that I can drop the temperature below the listed room temp, then increase it and it sometimes will work.

From what I understand this unit does not have a thermocouple? I read about a flame sensor, which I assume does nearly the same thing just by a different method. I know where the spark plugs are located but haven't checked them, and the condensate line seems to work properly, but can be rechecked if that's a strong suggestion given.

Anything to try is better than nothing, and the tricks seem to be working less and not as quickly every time. I'm not familiar with furnaces so if you can explain in details that would be much appreciated.
stevcho
New Contributor

- Lennox Pulse21

Postby stevcho » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:40 pm

Yes, even though it had a decently new filter I put a brand new one in, air flow isn't a problem, it's keeping the * * pilot lit / heat side running. The fan will blow if set to ON instead of AUTO, it's just cold air, with decent pressure even.
stevcho
New Contributor

- Lennox Pulse21

Postby heatseeker » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:34 am

It could be the T stat settings other than that I would not fool with a pulse furnace being as they are dangerous.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

- Lennox Pulse21

Postby stevcho » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:28 am

I've had the efficiency mode "ON from X to X, OFF from X to X" on the t stat off for quite a while actually. It's set to just turn on once it hits a certain point.

You said they are pretty dangerous, is that due to the way the electrical is designed or other features of them? As long as I know the full steps of what I am doing I am confident I can work on it, I just don't really know the common issues with a Pulse furnace * seem to be * and where to even really start a diagnosis of it.
stevcho
New Contributor

- Lennox Pulse21

Postby heatseeker » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:36 am

A pulse furnace fills a chamber with gas then ignites it, a mini explosion if you will. Now if you want to go messing with that be my guest howevetr it is not a diy project.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

- Lennox Pulse21

Postby cascadehvac » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:38 pm

the other problem you have is that the pulse furnace has been recalled.
Lennox as of last year was still offering a discount to replace the unit.
basically they will provide a furnace..you still need installation
cascadehvac
Regular Contributor

- Lennox Pulse21

Postby stevcho » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:46 am

Good to know about both the chamber and the recall. Going to look into that. Thanks for the help
stevcho
New Contributor

Return to Residential