Heat Pump Problem

Problems related to residential installations.

Heat Pump Problem

Postby Greg0145 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:17 am

I recently noticed that my home was not being cooled when the temp outside was only 80. Had freon added as I have in the past (slow leak, cannot find it). Unit worked great that night and cooled as expected. The next day the unit ran, but would blow cool air for 20 minutes and then warm air after that. It would start blowing cool air again after cutting the unit off for 1/2 an hour or letting it continue to run (cool, warm, cool). Any ideas what may cause this? Could it be dirty coils?
Greg0145
Minimal

- Heat Pump Problem

Postby heatseeker » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:31 am

Your compressor is tripping the internal overload due to overheating. My guess is the service guy overcharged the system or your condenser fan is overheating same as compressor, or you have a dirty condenser. In either case y ou will probably have to call service guy back. Tell them that you want a warranty call back because the problem should have been caught the first time.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

- Heat Pump Problem

Postby Greg0145 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:38 am

heatseeker -
> Your compressor is tripping the internal overload due to overheating. My
> guess is the service guy overcharged the system or your condenser fan is
> overheating same as compressor, or you have a dirty condenser. In either
> case y ou will probably have to call service guy back. Tell them that you
> want a warranty call back because the problem should have been caught the
> first time.

That makes sense. In the past I've only needed a pound or 1 1/2 pounds of freon. This guy put in 3 lbs. He also missed seeing that my drain line was completely dirty and tripped the unit. I cleaned that myself. I may call someone else in order to get it done correctly. Thanks for your help!
Greg0145
Minimal

- Heat Pump Problem

Postby heatseeker » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:38 am

Yea if they have another technician, or ask for the senior tech. The three pounds of freon might not be what really was put in if he didn't weight it as he was injecting it into the system.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

- Heat Pump Problem

Postby mr151 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:09 pm

im courius how much did they charge u for the freon itself? also u said the next day u were warm again f.y.i. sometimes leaks are hard to find however if u lose your charge overnight and the tech tells u he cant find it raise hell get ur money back and call another company and ask what technique was used to try and find the leak ?
mr151
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential