Replacement contactor wiring different

Problems related to residential installations.

Replacement contactor wiring different

Postby ziggyff » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:56 pm

I just ordered a replacement siingle pole contactor for my old Carrier central AC but it arrived with a slightly different setup (it came with an extra pole which I'm just ignoring and the side coil contacts (at least I'm calling them that) are now on separate sides )

the problem is not with the main pole wiring (2 wires/connectors on one end, 2 w/c on the other; which I'll just duplicate at re-install)...let's say those 2 are NORTH and SOUTH

now the problem/- the original had on one side 2 connectors (with yellow wires attached which came out of the coil on the bottom)(let's call this side EAST), the new one has only one connector on that side and a connector on the other side now (WEST) ... both still connected to the coil on the bottom

is there a way I couild damage this by wiring these 2 coil ends wrong?

I'll send photos if you'd like

tomf Reno
thanks in advance for any help
ziggyff
Minimal

- Replacement contactor wiring different

Postby heatseeker » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:18 am

Take the north pole and shove it in the south pole and there you will find your answers.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Postby Freon » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:36 pm

Assuming those 2 ends are to the coil that when energized closes the contactor, you can not make a mistake as long as east and west wires go to the 24 volt AC control wires.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby heatseeker » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:07 am

Freon I beg to differ. Very easily can be miswired especially with very old type contactors.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Postby Freon » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:16 pm

His concern, as I read the post and made note, was wiring the 24 volt coil on the contactor. That's very simple... 2 wires and it doesn't matter which control wire connects to which coil wire since it is a coil. Again I assumed the poster knew the 24 volt control circuit wires for the coil from the 240 volt line voltages wires. His post indicated he had the line voltage wires under control..
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby heatseeker » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:26 am

Yea but you have to take into account that he is not very bright.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Postby ziggyff » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:38 am

dear freon, ignore heatseeker, he or it is a moron and just goes thru these posts to joke around, I've reported him...you are correct and my worry was with the 24v part being wired reversely, which I could not do after all..I've since connected up the new contactor and my elderly neighbor is grateful for a working AC at this time of year..thanks for your time...I'll see what can be done to close this posting
ziggyff
Minimal

Postby Freon » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:45 pm

I'm happy all is working now.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential