Amana Prestige II - Compressor kick out on high temp

Problems related to residential installations.

Amana Prestige II - Compressor kick out on high temp

Postby jerlands » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:58 am

The cooling fan runs and if I shut the system off and then turn back on the compressor will run again but shuts down after anywhere from 4-24 hours. I've cleaned the coils and the capacitor was replaced not long ago.. Also, recently, the fan motor was replaced. It looks to me the compressor now needs replacing but I'm uncertain how to test it. I have a warranty but the tech that showed removed a blanket wrapping the compressor then left and it may be several days before they're back. (i mentioned my concern with his repair as the blanket had been on for years with no problems.. he also said the system pressures tested fine.) It seems to me they could perform a megaohm and or amp test on it to see if it's the compressor or not.. any help appreciated..

Thanks,

Jon
jerlands
New Contributor

- Amana Prestige II - Compressor kick out on high temp

Postby Freon » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:55 pm

First thing to check is the capacitor being used for the fan motor and the compressor. Since the fan motor is new I have a feeling the fan half of the existing dual capacitor may have been reused. That capacitance was good for the old motor but may be wrong for the new motor. An incorrect run capacitor can affect the horsepower of the fan. Double check the capacitance for the compressor also. The value you need should be shown in the system schematic.

Also is the new fan motor the same rpm and hp as the old one?

Lastly, put your hand on the suction line at the condenser... the larger of the 2 entering the condenser. It should feel beer can cold. If it doesn't then have the tech check the refrigerant again. The returning R-22 also helps keep the compressor cool.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby jerlands » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:44 pm

Hi Freon..

Thanks for the insight.. I don't know about the fan motor as I was away during replacement but I'll have the tech check to ensure the capacitor and fan are correct for the system.. the fan though seems to run with the same oomph as the old.. (I'm assuming a mismatch with the fan and capacitor might reduce cooling of the coils and overheat the compressor.) Also.. the return is cold.. not as cold as i like my beer but feels pretty cool. So if charge and capacitor check out OK then do you feel the problem would be with the compressor and if so how should the compressor be tested?

Thanks,

Jon
jerlands
New Contributor

Postby Freon » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:38 pm

It seems the fan is operating as it did before. The fact the refrigerant is coming back cool makes me wonder about the overheating. Check that the capacitor for the compressor is the correct one. That's about the last easy thing you can do. If you're feeling good airflow through the condenser then the coils should be clean enough

Are you sure it's overheating and that's why it's shutting down? It's possible the heat sensor for the compressor motor could be failing. If the system is cooling your house as well as before then I would say the compressor is okay. How old is the condenser? Another possibility is a high or low pressure safety switch. You need to make sure the tech writes down those readings. He can also measure the current draw of the compressor. If it's out of spec then that's a good indication something internal may be going. The compressor motor windings are very low impedance and the tech should know them.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby jerlands » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:28 pm

Freon -
> Check that the
> capacitor for the compressor is the correct one. That's about the last easy
> thing you can do.

The tech arrived late this afternoon and it seems this system has two capacitors.. it appears the "hard start" capacitor had been leaking and likely the cause. Everything else checks OK... it hasn't been running long and I'll know more tomorrow when it's really needed (we live in Houston)

The system now is an 8 year old SEER 12 and I was told the compressor should last another 5 years or so.

Thanks for the help...

Jon
jerlands
New Contributor

Return to Residential