Can I Vent My Boiler Over My Neighbour's Driveway? (Toronto)

Problems related to residential installations.

Can I Vent My Boiler Over My Neighbour's Driveway? (Toronto)

Postby boilerventing » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:45 am

I'm looking to replace my boiler and I need some advice. I'm in Toronto, in an older (1940s built) house. My house sits on my neighbour's property line. My current boiler vents up the chimney, but I'd like to move to sidewall venting to reduce potential CO issues.

See pictures (remove space before com)- *. com/a/u0gew

Some contractors told me that the best solution (based on space constraints) is to vent onto/above my neighbour's driveway. But according to CSA B149.1-05 section 8.14.8 "a vent shall not terminate directly above a paved sidewalk or paved driveway that is located between two single-family dwellings and serves both dwellings". Granted, the driveway does not serve BOTH dwellings, but I don't see why it suddenly becomes okay if it just serves one.

My question to you - Can I legally vent onto/above my neighbour's driveway? Based on the pictures I provided, do you see a potentially better solution?
boilerventing
New Contributor

- Can I Vent My Boiler Over My Neighbour's Driveway? (Toro

Postby Freon » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:06 pm

You said, "...move to sidewall venting to reduce potential CO issues." Would you please elaborate on that assumption. Where did you find that as a correct factual statement?

I ask because you have 2 simple choices. First, vent through the chimney as you have been. If you think there may be CO issues there are many ways to solve them. Second, draw the plot plan as you did in the web picture and ask for a building permit. I agree regulations are very ambiguous and the easiest way to overcome them all is have the building official grant you the side flue exit you desire.

No one on this forum can help you with Toronto building regulations. My personal suggestion is have the company who will replace the boiler get the permit for a side vent. Many building officials know the local contractors and, with a good history, those contractors face little hassle for a permit.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby boilerventing » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:22 pm

Let me rephrase the CO concerns -

I want to have a closed system where intake and exhaust are outside the house and connected to a sealed combustion boiler, minimizing the opportunity for CO infiltration. Sidewall direct venting is just one way to do this, but it happens to be the way most recommended to me by the contractors I had over to quote.

Having said that, it seems like a potential option is to get a combi-boiler (Viessmann Vitodens 100) and run the intake/exhaust through my masonry chimney chase. Perhaps a coaxial vent or two PVC vents. It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on such a configuration.
boilerventing
New Contributor

Postby Freon » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:58 am

I think using the chimney as a chase is a very good option. However is there any other equipment using the chimney in addition to the boiler? If you run the PVC to the top, check the pipe diameter necessary for that length of piping and make sure both pipes will fit the flue size.

I'd still try applying for permit for a side vent installation and keep the chimney chase as a backup option.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential