Pulse 21 runs for 5 minutes then shuts down

Problems related to residential installations.

Pulse 21 runs for 5 minutes then shuts down

Postby sscallon » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:28 pm

I have a Lennox Pulse 21 that is 17 years old, runs well for 5 minutes then shuts down, and the LED on the ignition module goes out. If I reset by shutting off the electrical for a while (more than 5 minutes) it will do it again. Do I have an intake or exhaust problem? I switched out the ignition module, and a service technician cleaned the intake flapper, no help.
sscallon
Minimal

- Pulse 21 runs for 5 minutes then shuts down

Postby Freon » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:19 pm

Possibly a high limit safety. Accurately measure the time from ignition to shutdown. Now at the thermostat set the FAN to ON. Now call for heat and see if the time to when the furnace shuts off is longer. If it runs longer then check all return and supply registers for adequate air flow. Make sure all filters are new.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby sscallon » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:17 am

It ran 5 1/2 minutes on auto, and only 4 1/2 minutes on "fan on". After a technician cleaned the intake filter inside the heavy sealed box, it ran for a long time (hours), but only for that one day. I have checked the drip leg and it is not gunky.
sscallon
Minimal

Postby ericka89 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:57 am

I agree with you. sscallon -
> It ran 5 1/2 minutes on auto, and only 4 1/2 minutes on "fan on".
> After a technician cleaned the intake filter inside the heavy sealed box,
> it ran for a long time (hours), but only for that one day. I have checked
> the drip leg and it is not gunky.
ericka89
Minimal

Postby Freon » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:58 pm

"After a technician cleaned the intake filter inside the heavy sealed box, it ran for a long time (hours), but only for that one day. "

It seems there is either inadequate air flow or the high fan limit safety id not working properly. Look on the front of the furnace for a 3"x5" metal box very close to where the heat exchanger is (above the burners in a vertical flow system). See if the cover to that box comes off easily if you squeeze the sides. If it does and there's a dial inside, let us know.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential