Wiring color scheme downdraft Honewell furnace to RTH3100C

Problems related to residential installations.

Wiring color scheme downdraft Honewell furnace to RTH3100C

Postby davesdaily » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:37 am

Heat not coming on, replaced thermo with subj thermo. Old unit not wired properly, no tags. I can get ignition of gas burners- still blowing AC, no heat? Wires from - Red, White, Green, Yellow, Brown, and Blue. Current config R to R, G to G, Y to Y, W to Aux- Bl & Br not connected. Unit sends Heat on, Heat On, then shortly restarts in Aux Heat on and inition happens- no heat. Slots on - E Aux Y G O L R B C- unconnected Br is only tagged - RC. What am I missing?
davesdaily
New Contributor

- Wiring color scheme downdraft Honewell furnace to RTH310

Postby Freon » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:56 am

Please tell us the type of equipment... furnace, heat pump with electric Aux heating. Make and model number will help.

Did you heat ever work. Check the thermostat wire colors at the air handler or furnace to be sure they are the same wires at the thermostat.

Do not post with dashes or hyphens or slashes as they get censored.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby davesdaily » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:22 am

Thank you very much for responding. Understand that, I wouldn't know an aux heat pump if it jumped up and kicked me.

I'm actually not sure there is one; more on that below. I'm a C4I2SR systems analyst, federal, USMC, retired Navy operations spook type CWO.

Here's what I do -

The furnace is a Rheem Criterion, with a Honeywell type gas valve control knob, which is why I wrongly assumed it was a Honeywell unit. It is hard to read the model and serial numbers due to the placement of the plate deep in the cabinet... appears to - Model RGOG (or RGDG) 05NAUER, Ser. CM5D302F08934968.

The furnace did work, we did have heat. What happened is the AC stopped working, enter former HVAC business owner, friend of my nephew bla bla... The AC was fixed, did not involve the thermostat, breaker box terminal was fried, wall socket in the attic shorted it out. Replaced both, problem solved. Then the fan outside, also a Rheem, went south, compressor, whatever, replaced with new unit. Winter comes around, I'm at NATO HQ in Brussels, furnace doesn't ignite and my daughter's boyfriend installs a - one that looks like I could launch an MX missile; jumpers all over the place, rat's nest, it's own propritary circuit jumping switches; completely different wiring terminal designations than either the legacy thermo or its weapons grade replacement.

I traced the wires to the board in the furnace. The wires are Red, White, Yellow, Green, Brown and Blue, same as it is at the thermo. They connect to the panel as - Rd to R, W to W, G to G, Y to Y, Brown to C. From the outside breaker box Red to C White to Y. The Blue wire is not connected at the thermo or the unit, and it is wound back on the cable the same way on both sides, suggesting to me that it has always been that - Brown on the other hand, must have been previously connected, just not to rocket science unit I replaced.

There is no W terminal on the Honeywell RTH3100Cin schema of E Aux Y G O L R B C so I stuck it Aux because I just figured it didn't go to C, maybe Aux... dumb I know. Maybe Brown does connect to C as it does at the furnace... and if I knew where to put White, e.g. O or L I'd put it there. There is no mention of Aux in any of the guides that came with the system, which are all generic to every installation in the entire tract. The two storie homes have their unit in the garage, ranch in the attic. It appears to me that there is a dedicated blower motor, this calls into question why the Rheem fan for the AC comes on. I can see why the thermo switches to "Aux Heat On" because white is on Aux. With White to C, the system does the same thing, but never ignites, just stays at "Heat On," with the AC fan on and blowing cold air. There is also no mention of "E" which I assume is Emergency being connected anywhere or an "E" or Aux on the panel of the unit itself.
davesdaily
New Contributor

Postby davesdaily » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:48 am

Looks like the model is RGDG 05NAUER, matches up online. Looking for service manual or spec manual
davesdaily
New Contributor

Postby Freon » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:35 pm

Best I can guess is you have a simple AC condenser outside (not a heat pump) and a simple gas furnace inside. The Honeywell thermostat is for a heat pump... you need a different thermostat. Get a thermostat for 1 heat, 1 cool, not a heat pump. To be sure, please post the model number of the outside condenser unit.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential