Check Valve Question?

Problems related to residential installations.

Check Valve Question?

Postby Silverjwj » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:39 pm

My concern is boiler water mixing with drinking water. I have no check valve on the line to the boiler from our water source. The pressure reducing valve model number is Fb-38TU. When I look up that valve it says it has one built in, my question is, is that sufficient enough to prevent water from back flowing. On the site it says if the inlet pressure drops below the 12psi, it will prevent back flow so I'm wondering if I should add one to the line is it ok the way it is. This is concerning to me because I have a 2 year old and we have been drinking the water for about a year now. I just want to know if its safe.
Silverjwj
Most Valued Contributor

- Check Valve Question?

Postby Freon » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:02 pm

I would not worry. If the house potable water supply dropped to less than the boiler head pressure, You would certainly notice the lack of water flow and remedy that situation long before any boiler water entered your potable system. But you do have a check valve on the boiler feed meaning that boiler water can't enter the potable system. If you like, check the check valve. Turn off the main supply and drain the potable water system and watch the pressure gauge on the boiler. If it doesn't move, you know the check valve is working.

If you have city water you should never have domestic water pressure problems. If you have well water then only when the pump fails or you pump the well dry will you have water pressure issues.

If you have further concerns, please ask. And you can always duplicate a check valve if you like.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential