Honeywell Thermostat

Problems related to residential installations.

Honeywell Thermostat

Postby mottwill » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:09 pm

I have a Honeywell non programmable thermostat model # TH5110D and a 2-1/2 year old Armstrong Air furnace model # A95UH1D070B12A-02 that I have a intermitting problems with sometimes when the thermostat calls for heat the furnace will come on and run for only 2to 3 minutes and then shut off and the
thermostat still says that the heat is on sometimes it will come back and run for a while other times the thermostat will click and the heat on will go off the
other problem that I have is some time when the thermostat calls for heat the inducer motor will come on for 10 to 15 seconds and then turn off then after
3 to 4 minutes it will come back on all the time the thermostat says that the heat is on it does not do this when they come to fix it and there are no codes
on the furnace.
mottwill
Minimal

- Honeywell Thermostat

Postby Silverjwj » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:38 pm

Does your thermostat take batteries? If you know how to pull the thermostat apart till you see the wires. Connect the r and the w together and see if it runs. If it does then I'd say thermostat, or batteries in it are bad. If it continues to do the same thing. I would move to the furnace. Watch what it does, do the burners light run for awhile then go out. If so I'd say check the flame censor. Take it out, clean it with a piece of scotch bright.
Silverjwj
Most Valued Contributor

- Honeywell Thermostat

Postby Freon » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:13 am

If the thermostat is not the problem, then go to this URL w w w.allreds.net/WS2/docs/arm/a95uh1a_manual.pdf (you need to remove the spaces in w w w) Read pg 42 where it describes the sequence of ignition and follow each step as the furnace tries to light as Silverjwj suggested. It may take several times of watching until you finally have an ignition failure. To make it easy you can CAREFULLY jumper the R and W terminals at the furnace to simulate a call for heat..

When it fails to ignite, if you do not see the hot surface ignitor glow during the ignition sequence then look to the inducer assembly (make sure tube to pressure switch and flue piping are clear of any obstruction). You can TEMPORARILY jump the inducer pressure switch and see if that solves the ignition problem.

If the HSI glows and the burners ignite and then shut off, check the flame sensor and clean it as Silverjwj suggested.

Tell us what you discover. With intermittent problems you need patience and perseverance.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

- Honeywell Thermostat

Postby mottwill » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:56 pm

This is the 3rd thermostat in a year and when it calls for heat sometime the inducer motor will only come on for 5 to 10 seconds and then it just sits there then maybe 3 to 5 minutes
later it will come on and the burner will lite and then the blower will come on and it will run the rest of the cycle then other times it will come right on when the thermostat calls for
heat and the burner will lite and then maybe it will only run 3 to 5 minutes then shut off and the thermosat still says that the heat is on then sometimes it will come back on for a
2 to 3 minutes other time the heat on will just turn off on the thermostat.
mottwill
Minimal

Return to Residential