I have to reset power to furnace

Problems related to residential installations.

I have to reset power to furnace

Postby stymie222 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:25 pm

I' trying to figure out why I have to reset my power to get my furnace to come back on. 1300 sq ft home- Janitrol GMPN 060-3, 10 years old.
I have noticed that this only happenens when the furnace has run a long time (hi-limit ?), trying to meet the thermostat's setting when it's really cold outside.
We just had a blast of artic air and temps were -15 f and wind chills were -40 f.
If my thermostat was set at 68 it would run constantly and for long periods.
New -thermostat, flame sensor, hi limit, filter and my condensate pump is running and pumping. Igniter glows red hot. I have a new board available.
When the furnace shuts down, it will try to re- ignite immediately. Error code- one slow flash- I have to reset power after a while to get it to run.
If I lower the thermostat, it will satisfy the thermostat setting and shut off with no errors.
Could this be a furnace that does not have enough BTU's to heat quickly in these extremes ?
Could the fan size and speed, be not enough to clear the hot air that would cause a hi limit trip ? Or could this be a control board issue ?
Thanks- I have been pulling my hair out on this one.
stymie222
Minimal

- I have to reset power to furnace

Postby Freon » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:54 pm

I will try and find more about your furnace regarding the error code. But for now I suggest you check the flue piping. With these extreme temperatures the water vapor in the flue will condense and freeze thereby causing the draft inducer pressure switch to shut the system off.

Since your furnace runs a long time, everything else seems to be working. And running constantly on very cold days is exactly how your furnace should behave. It's the most efficient when not cycling on and off.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby stymie222 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:46 pm

Thanks for the reply- I have a perferated cap on the end of the pvc exhaust pipe that is like a checkerboard grid, mainly to keep rodents out.
There has been a pile of frozen water drippings that I knock down every day. That is why I thought the exhaust was not the problem. Pipe is about a foot off ground. Exhaust is shooting out about 5 feet.
Furnace has been working for over ten years with this protective cap on, but temps are record lows. Should I remove it ? Should I put heat tape on the pipe ?
Some one said that the pipe should have a small gradual amount of fall BACK to the furnace. It does.
The back of the furnace cover has the code information- one flash is flame sensor or gas valve/gas pressure- which does not apply here.
Thanks again
stymie222
Minimal

Postby Freon » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:13 pm

With the severe cold, who knows what may be happening with your flue pressure. As an experiment remove, the mesh grid you have to keep critters out and see if your problem stops.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential