A/C guy installed Contactor now AC no Working

Problems related to residential installations.

A/C guy installed Contactor now AC no Working

Postby Mechanic » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:02 am

I had a contactor replaced and the AC is not working. The AC guy is long gone he said there must be other stuff in the AC not working to cause this. I looked at the contactor he installed and I noticed it says "coil 208/240 AC" and the old one said "coil 24v AC". Did this guy install the wrong contactor???
Mechanic
Minimal

- A/C guy installed Contactor now AC no Working

Postby Silverjwj » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:10 pm

So he replaced it and left without checking to see if it worked? Check the fuse in the furnace and see it it's blown. Should be on the control board. Then out side there's a box with a switch that pulls out, make sure that's put into the right way where it says on. I would actually check that first. If he did work on it he would have shut it off.
Silverjwj
Most Valued Contributor

- A/C guy installed Contactor now AC no Working

Postby Freon » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:19 pm

Try and get the make and model number of the contactor so you can verify its specifications. If the contactor coil is truly 208 volts then you definitely have the wrong one. If you call for AC and go out to the condenser, you should hear a hum of the energized contactor. If it's a 205 coil I suspect you'll hear nothing.
Also you could take a pencil or insulated stick and physically close the contactor to verify there is the 240 volt power to the condenser fan and compressor.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential