Just moved in - New Trane thermostat woes

Problems related to residential installations.

Just moved in - New Trane thermostat woes

Postby cwr5033 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:55 pm

I'm in the process of moving into a new place and wanted to replace the old cruddy thermostat. I figured it would be no big deal and bought a Trane Remote Energy Management Thermostat **://-.amazon.com/Trane-Remote-Energy-Management-Thermostat/dp/-***-*. I took apart the old thermostat and followed the instructions in the PDF for setting up a heat pump. **://-.smarthomeusa.com/Products/TZEMT043AB32MAA/manuals/TZEMT043AB32MAAInst.-***-* While wiring the new system (step 11 in the PDF) I noticed that I did not have an existing "W" or "W1" wire. I was also confused as to why "Y" was listed in the "w1" slot and in the "Y" slot, so I bridged them together with a wire. I also had an issue with the "RC" wire on my old thermostat. (see pic below). The wire that I assume is RC first goes to "4" and then bridges over to "RC". Needless to say I have not been able to successfully hook up my thermostat and the only thing I get is blower with no heat. I wanted to see if I could find help here before I had to hire a professional to hook up a darn thermostat. I've called the tech support and they only tell me that I need a pro to come out if I do not have a dedicated "W1" wire. But considering the old mechanical thermostat could handle not having one, I do not see how it is possible that the newer better thermostat cannot handle it. There has got to be something I can bridge to make this work? Or do I really need to run another wire through my house to hook this up. Below is as much pertinent information as I could think of. Thanks to anyone who might be able to help.

Gibson Heat pump with 1 Zone

My -
Y(blue), G(green), W(white), RC or 4 depending how you think about it (Red)

-
24Com, 24RC, 24RH, W1, W2/O, G, Y1, Y2

I've attempted to bridge Y and W1, Y and W1 as well as Y and 24RC, Y and W1 as well as Y and 24Com. The only thing that I ever get is blower with no heat.

Pictures

**://dl.dropbox.com/u/1394954/IMAG0086.-* **-*
**://dl.dropbox.com/u/1394954/IMAG0089.-* **-*
cwr5033
New Contributor

- Just moved in - New Trane thermostat woes

Postby cwr5033 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:57 pm

**://dl.dropbox.com/u/1394954/IMAG0088.-* **-*
cwr5033
New Contributor

Postby kdgeah » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:09 pm

those instructions dont mention batteries. if there is nowhere to hook batteries, and you only have 4 thermostat wires, then you need another wire... the common wire
kdgeah
Minimal

Postby cwr5033 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:53 pm

Wow, even after posting all of this info, I didn't realize that I was putting the white (W, the one I've been looking for!) in the common (24vCom) because I didn't label it W, I labled it COM. So I NEED to run a common? There is no alternative to this? Because running an additional wire through my house is going to be a pain
cwr5033
New Contributor

Postby nomadpeo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:02 am

i noticed that your old thermostat is not a heat pump thermostat. do you have a gas fired furnace ? it may have an additional control box designed to handle additional signals needed to make the heat pump work.

from looking at the documentation you provided, it looks like the thermostat needs a full 24 volt power supply to the thermostat. the 'c' wire you need to add will provide the other half of the power. do not cut jumper 'j1'. this links 'rc' to 'rh' and is normal. 'y', 'g' and 'w' will go back to their respective terminals. (terminal '4' on your old thermostat is irrelevant) the new common wire needs to be connected between 'c' at the furnace and 'c' at the thermostat.

if you do not have a spare wire in your thermostat cable, see if it is possible to use it to tie on a new cable (preferably 18-8, but in this case, looks like 18-6 may work) and pull it up to the furnace.
nomadpeo
Most Valued Contributor

Postby heatseeker » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:26 am

DIYers are great.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Postby nomadpeo » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:59 pm

sometimes it would be good to hear back from them to see how it went.
nomadpeo
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential