Peerless Boiler as a Heat Pump Backup

Problems related to residential installations.

Peerless Boiler as a Heat Pump Backup

Postby BobW » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:25 pm

I have a Peerless 85-140-WPC-H (or WRS) boiler. I use it for a heat pump backup, domestic hot water, and a heater for my small shop. I am getting a new heat pump and a tankless hot water heater. I would like to keep the boiler as a backup for the new heat pump. One tech told me that was his recommendation. Another wanted to install 2 tankless systems and use one for the heat pump backup, as he said the water in the boiler would always be hot, even when I wasn't using it. Which one is right?
Thanks
BobW
Minimal

- Peerless Boiler as a Heat Pump Backup

Postby BobW » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:42 pm

I am going with a Bryant 286BNA048 Evolution. I think it will run water through a coil through the air handler? Will not be using the boiler for domestic hot water anymore as I am going tankless. I live in Lower Delaware.

**"dilkey"-* kind of heat pump are you using? are you using the boiler to temper the water temp for your heatpump, also how are you using the boiler for domestic hot water? we need more info, also what part of the country are you in?*/-*
BobW
Minimal

- Peerless Boiler as a Heat Pump Backup

Postby 4ftBanger » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:41 am

I am not aware of any tankless water heater that can be used to heat a heating coil - They are designed for open-loop domestic heating only. The boiler can be set up to only fire on a demand for heat, although it will take a couple extra minutes for the coil to get hot. I would expect a new, properly sized heat pump to handle the heating load most of the time without activating the boiler. You probably wouldn't need back-up heat until the outdoor temps get down to around 30 - 35.
4ftBanger
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential