weathertron model # location;how clean blower fan?

Problems related to residential installations.

weathertron model # location;how clean blower fan?

Postby fil » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:05 am

How do I remove the squirrel cage to clean it in an old 20+ year Trane Weathertron? It has deposits on the blades and looks like a major job to get to it as it appears to be enclosed in a sheet metal housing that in turn is screwed into the main housing. Also, where is the model # listed on these units? A crumbling schematic found inside says it's a BWC030C100A2 but the repair tech who worked on it before noted it as a "28JE1N". He said I needed two run caps, one a 12.5uf that measures as 7.7 and a 40uf now measuring at 11uf. He pointed these out to me, but the one mounted on the blower housing I pulled out and it says "blower cap" not "run cap". I want to order these online but need to pick the right model #.
fil
Minimal

- weathertron model # location;how clean blower fan?

Postby fil » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:28 pm

**"bigwheelingman"-* the set screw that holds the blower to the motor shaft. then get some pliers and grab the end of the shaft. then tunr the blower wheel to loosen it up from the shaft. Undo the mounting nuts that that hold the motor to the housing unit. Make sure u disconnect power before doing anyhting. Then unplug the motor leads and the thing should come */-*

It sounds like you're talking about just removing the blower motor?? I want to remove the fan so I can clean the louvers on it. I did take another look at it today when I was writing down numbers on the caps. The motor I can see how that would come out easily , but the louvers on the fan part are within that metal housing, and the fan is not smaller than the housing, and maybe I'm missing something, but because of that I don't even see how tilting it could have it come out. And I didn't see any sheet metal screws securing the housing to the main heat pump walls (unless it's spot welded, or else has screws on the other sides of the walls), and there's another thin metal box (with what looks like aluminum foil over it) in front of that blower housing so I think I'd need to remove that too. But again, thank you....when I get/replace the caps I will still take another look at it, with your instructions in hand.

Oh, and I found where the tech got the 28JE1N number. It's on a plate on the compressor. So I doubt that is the heat pump model # .....I assume it's the longer one on the schematic I found inside.
fil
Minimal

Postby nomadpeo » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:20 am

not sure about the model or the age, but your blowr assembly is mounted either with sheet metal screws to the top or side housing with tabs or some other means, or it may be foot mounted with rubber bushings on the floor. once loose, you may have to turn 90 degrees and/or tilt to remove from the space. kill the power and disconnect the wiring. pull the assembly and take it outside. remove the motor mounting and shaft set bolt as bigwheel said and remove the motor. the blower wheel will come out after you remove one more peice which is a removable peice of the housing at the opening. once removed, you can wet down the wheel and housing, then spray with some coil cleaner. after soaking, you can then wash it with a standard hose nozzle, reassemble and reinstall. the last step in reassemble is to center the wheel on the shaft between the walls of the housing, then reset the set bolt.

your 'tech'........the one who did not do the service you are about to do......found a bad capacitor inside and outside, yet your system is still working ? makes me wonder if his meter is working. if you have or know someone who has a digital multimeter, you can check the capacitance yourself. kill the power, remove one wire off the capacitor and use the mfd setting on the meter to verify the value.

if there is any part of this process you do not feel confident you can do safely, call a (different) technician.
nomadpeo
Most Valued Contributor

Postby heatseeker » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:07 am

very funny
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential