How to wire Humidifier to Furnace so......

Problems related to residential installations.

How to wire Humidifier to Furnace so......

Postby ccpyue » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:12 pm

I newly installed a Lennox G61MPV furnace and a new Honeywell HE225 By-Pass Flow-Through humidifier by a quite a big company in Toronto. This system is suggested by their salesperson who came to my house to check and calculate. A month or so after the system in place, I found the house is extremely dry. Then I found the humidifier works only when the furnace heat kicks in. Once the house temperature reached the pre-set temperature, furnace stopped heating, and so does the water supply to the humidifier also stopped. This, my house can never reach the humidity I want. I need around 50% for my sensitive skin, and to protect my wood furniture and my piano. In the old days when I was using the Rolling Drum type humidifier, as long as the Fan is ON, and the humidity is low, it works.

Though I have talked to the installer several times to request them to fix this problem, but their service ended after installation.

I wish some one can tell me is it possible to wire the Humidifier to the Furnace, so that the Humidifier will control by the FAN and HUMIDISTAT only. Not by the furnace. Just like my old Rolling Drum Humidifier.

Now I've to put pots of water everywhere in my house to help to protect my rose wood furniture and piano. At nigh, I have to have a portable humidifier in my bedroom in order to sleep well, otherwise, I will scratch my body the whole night.

Thank you.
ccpyue
New Contributor

- How to wire Humidifier to Furnace so......

Postby juster » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:39 pm

It is true that this flow through humidifier works in this manner. It comes from the factory this way. If outside temps are 0 C / 32 F you can have the humidity set point up a bit higher, although 50% does seem a bit high. It is important to make sure you lower the humidity settings when the outside temperature drops or you will have condensation problems in your place.
As for getting your humidifier to operate all the time like your old drum type. I guess you should have made that clear to the sales person. Of course not knowing what your conversation was maybe you did. If that is the case I would call them back to review what you had asked for.
These flow through humidifiers are quite good but it is the case that they do not operate unless the temperature of the air flowing through them is a warmer temperature.
I guess you’re only recourse now is to call the sales person back to review what you had asked for, or add extra humidifiers in your place as you say you have done already.
Still I caution you to ensure your inside humidity limits are reduced when the outside temperature drops or you will have condensation problems. This may cause mold inside your walls.
Hope this helps
juster
Most Valued Contributor

Postby jjump » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:38 am

juster,

I just did this exact same setup over the weekend.

I too have dry skin, along with other issues, that I prefer a bit more humidity....

Anyways, I also installed an electronic air cleaner with a new humidifer.

The air cleaner I used was the Aprilaire 5000. The reason I chose this unit was for the fact that it has a user interface that allows the fan and air cleaner to operate, while the heat is not on.

What this does is circulates the air throughout the house even when there is no call for heat, and when there is a call for heat, the heat kicks on as normal.

To add to this, I wired my humidifer transformer into the EAC circuit on my furnace, so now when the air cleaner and fan kick on, the humidifer also kicks on, remember, even if the water if flowing, it's useless unless the air is passing through the humidifer, i.e., the blower needs to be running.
jjump
New Contributor

Postby ccpyue » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:57 pm

Thanks for all advise. My old humidifier is control by the Fan and Humidistat only. I suppose the installer will install the same way. They never told me they will install it in a different way, just do whatever they like and then walked away. Now they just ignore my request to come back for this. So I sent email to Honeywell, they replied me saying my request can be done by installing a thing call "Sail Switch". Then the humidifier will only control by the Fan and Humidistat. Not by furnace heat cycle. I think this is perfect to solve this dry problem. Another thing is a friend told me that if I changed from cold water to Hot water supply to humidifier will also help. Seem this suggestion is logical.

Since this is not my fault, and installer never told me they will change the connection different from my old one, I will try again to request them to comes back for this return job. I don't want to spend extra money to have other contractor to do the job; also it may void the warranty. Hope this work out fine.

Thanks again for your advise.
ccpyue
New Contributor

Postby jjump » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:32 am

Yes - install the saddle valve on the hot water supply....hot water vaporizes more quickly than cold water.
jjump
New Contributor

Postby Heating UP » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:26 am

I have been using the Aprilaire for a while and having good luck with it in my house. However, I am always looking for things to recommend to my clients, so I was wondering if you guys recommended the Aprilaire or the Lennox system you talked about in the previous post? Thanks!
Heating UP
New Contributor

Return to Residential