Time to replace Carrier 58 MPV from 1994?

Problems related to residential installations.

Time to replace Carrier 58 MPV from 1994?

Postby tom_mn » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:57 pm

I have a natural gas Carrier High Efficiency 58 MPV 080 that was installed in mid-1994. Claims to be 95% efficient. Issue is the age and reliability generally and the noise of the draft inducer in particular over the last 1-2 years.

I travel for work and it is our only source of heat in Minnesota. Last time it needed work it was a $700 for emergency call to install new motherboard (although we got a new ignitor at no cost at the same time since the guy screwed up). This mechanic alerted us to the sound of the draft assembly which has only increased since then, although it comes and goes.

-
-Draft inducer assembly replaced once already about 1999, still under warranty, by mechanic who said "This is a $900 repair, you're lucky."
-Ignitor replaced once in 2004 by me
-Some rotten plastic tubing replaced by me over the years
-Thermostat replaced by me about 2005
-Motherboard and ignitor replaced Jan. 2010 by mechanic, $700 (noted already)
-Tune up mechanic in Sept. 2010 said everything OK, heat exchanger OK, basically tried to sell me duct cleaning
-Just got an estimate for new furnace. Goodman GMVC95 about $3000 after rebates. Estimator also seemed to be impressed by the performance of the furnace except for the rattling-like noise of the draft inducer.

-

1. new furnace now, easy since everything is working, off-season lower price, eliminates most risk of losing heat for a long time.

2. Start service agreement in fall in case draft inducer breaks, about $180/year.

3. Replace draft inducer by myself (generic or carrier parts?) in the summer when there is no heating requirement and hence no deadline stress, plenty of time to get the right tools and advice.

4. Having a mechanic replace the draft inducer assembly with a Carrier part for $1000 seems a poor investment.

Any thoughts out there?
tom_mn
New Contributor

- Time to replace Carrier 58 MPV from 1994?

Postby 4ftBanger » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:43 am

I would advise you consider replacement. The average useful-life of a gas furnace in the northern US is around 15 years. Higher efficiency equipment typically lasts a little longer but looses efficiency faster over time. Mechanical parts wear out and things begin to break. In upstate New York we used to estimate that a gas furnace would run for approximately 2000 hours per year. If this were a car travelling at 35 miles per hour it would rack up 70,000 miles - times 16 years... is over a million total miles. You get a lot more "miles" out of a furnace than a car, but continuing to repair your furnace is far less cost effective than replacing it - Especially if you find a brand that offers a reasonable extended warranty. You can get a 10 year - parts and labor warranty extension for a couple hundred dollars from most major manufacturers.
4ftBanger
Most Valued Contributor

Postby tom_mn » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:37 pm

What I was thinking was that if I replaced the draft inducer myself for about $250 I could get another 2 years out of it since it has a new motherboard and ignitor.

I'm thinking that the annualized cost of a furnace if it lasts 20 years (cost + repairs) is $200/year so a $250n repair should pay off.
tom_mn
New Contributor

Postby cascadehvac » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:32 am

i understand that thinking but....the 94 carrier is prone to lots of problems. it prolly is just better to bite the bullet and install new. the last thing you want in a minnesota winter is to lose heat...and you proly will
cascadehvac
Regular Contributor

Postby aircooledtx » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:39 pm

Tom I would recommend keeping the furnace and doing upgrades as needed. Why would you change brands from Carrier to Goodman on replacement
aircooledtx
Most Valued Contributor

Postby tom_mn » Mon May 09, 2011 10:34 pm

- Because the salesman suggested it? No other reason, he also bid Trane for a little more.

- So Carrier part for the draft inducer assembly, or something generic? And can I do this?
tom_mn
New Contributor

Postby aircooledtx » Fri May 13, 2011 5:33 am

tom_mn -
> I have a natural gas Carrier High Efficiency 58 MPV 080 that was installed
> in mid-1994. Claims to be 95% efficient. Issue is the age and reliability
> generally and the noise of the draft inducer in particular over the last
> 1-2 years.
>
> I travel for work and it is our only source of heat in Minnesota. Last
> time it needed work it was a $700 for emergency call to install new
> motherboard (although we got a new ignitor at no cost at the same time
> since the guy screwed up). This mechanic alerted us to the sound of the
> draft assembly which has only increased since then, although it comes and
> goes.
>
> -
> -Draft inducer assembly replaced once already about 1999, still under
> warranty, by mechanic who said "This is a $900 repair, you're
> lucky."
> -Ignitor replaced once in 2004 by me
> -Some rotten plastic tubing replaced by me over the years
> -Thermostat replaced by me about 2005
> -Motherboard and ignitor replaced Jan. 2010 by mechanic, $700 (noted
> already)
> -Tune up mechanic in Sept. 2010 said everything OK, heat exchanger OK,
> basically tried to sell me duct cleaning
> -Just got an estimate for new furnace. Goodman GMVC95 about $3000 after
> rebates. Estimator also seemed to be impressed by the performance of the
> furnace except for the rattling-like noise of the draft inducer.
>
> -
>
> 1. new furnace now, easy since everything is working, off-season lower
> price, eliminates most risk of losing heat for a long time.
>
> 2. Start service agreement in fall in case draft inducer breaks, about
> $180/year.
>
> 3. Replace draft inducer by myself (generic or carrier parts?) in the
> summer when there is no heating requirement and hence no deadline stress,
> plenty of time to get the right tools and advice.
>
> 4. Having a mechanic replace the draft inducer assembly with a Carrier
> part for $1000 seems a poor investment.
>
> Any thoughts out there?
If its working and heating properly then , replace IDM..But, remember to get it checked every year for safety..
aircooledtx
Most Valued Contributor

Postby tom_mn » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:20 pm

I just priced out the proper part (IDM) and it is $700 for this model (all the other models are $300!), which seems like a poor use of money just for 3 more years of intended use. Considering a new furnace after all, a Lennox SLP98V was priced out for me $4470 including various rebates and tax credits.
tom_mn
New Contributor

Return to Residential