Is this normal power usage?

Problems related to residential installations.

Is this normal power usage?

Postby skysaint » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:55 pm

So, I just received my electric bill and it was a little over 300 bucks. My bill says I used 2460 KWH which is a good 1500 KWH's more than it has ever been. I decided to check my current meter readings and turn off my ac for a full day and do the same with it on. After doing this, I compared the two and I was amazed at the difference. Without the ac running I was using 12 KWH per day; with the ac running I was using 82 KWH per day. My question, is it normal for an ac unit to use 70 plus KWH a day to cool less than 800 sq. ft of house? If it is, I'm going to the store to buy some ice blocks and some box fans!
skysaint
Minimal

- Is this normal power usage?

Postby heatseeker » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:06 am

Do you have electric heat? how is the unit cooling. I would call a company who does a tune up special for 80 bucks or so and see if they can find any probs. with it.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Postby skysaint » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:48 pm

Everything in the house runs off of gas except the ac unit. The landlord had a buddy that repairs ac's and he came and took a look at it. He said that everything was fine, but I still cannot believe that my bill and usage would shoot up that much for no reason.
skysaint
Minimal

Postby nomadpeo » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:16 pm

welcome to the heat wave.
nomadpeo
Most Valued Contributor

Postby mbales » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:26 am

You never mentioned the size of the unit, and the SEER rating, and how long was it running through the day, and location. All info needed to give a educated answer.
Otherwise, sure, it's hot.

Is it normal?
*.*/popups/truth_about_seer_ratings.php
SEER is simply a formula that is described by the outcome of the -

Divide the system's rated Btu's by it's stated SEER rating to determine how many watts it consumes per hour, (Kwh stands for kilo-watt hour).

For that small space, probably 1 1/2 ton unit, unless in very humid normally very hot area. Which means perhaps properly sized, running almost constantly on these hot days.
Let's say it is old and only 12 SEER.
So that would be 1.5 Kwh. To hit 75 Kwh for the day, that means it ran for 50 hrs that day.

Since that can't be right, and over twice what it should be, -
your SEER value is way off my assumption and much worse.
You have a much bigger unit than my assumption and yet it is running constantly.
A combo of that.
The unit is very badly inefficient because of wrong air flow, blocked up filter or A-coil, thermo set to 60 F, bad charge, ect.

Once you get your figures, you can use that site to tell you if worth your while to upgrade to better SEER, now that you see the real money behind it. And that will most likely only go up too.
mbales
Minimal

Postby heatseeker » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:02 am

Well does that mean your furnace is gas or electric?
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential