a LOT of Dripping from Insulated Refigerant Line

Problems related to residential installations.

a LOT of Dripping from Insulated Refigerant Line

Postby JackT110 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:44 pm

Hello
I’m a DIYer who is volunteering (free) to help an ailing and poor senior citizen with their central a/c problem. A fluid (water I think) is forming droplets on and DRIPPING A LOT from the insulated refrigerant line. Water puddles on the floor and must be removed daily with a wet vac –several gallons per day. Unit is in the basement and the basement is not too humid and is about 65F. It drips most from the insulated refrigerant line within the closest 4 inches to the plenum. These last 4 inches are wrapped in tape and I believe the tape is covering the insulation, though the tape may be compressing the insulation. Droplets are also present on the insulated refrigerant line many feet away from the plenum –basically wherever the insulation is compressed or pinched (i.e. wherever there are zip ties compressing it or where there are 90 degree bends in the pipe and insulation). Senior says the a/c is working. Senior says that some previous volunteer insulation guy in June’2011 said her a/c was frozen and that her thermostat needed to be replaced. He replaced her thermostat and the senior says the a/c then worked. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Senior can’t afford to call in a HVAC pro unless its absolutely necessary. She got ripped off recently by a company that said the puddle is due to a faulty hot water tank, which they replaced, yet the puddle from her a/c problem continues.
JackT110
New Contributor

- a LOT of Dripping from Insulated Refigerant Line

Postby JackT110 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:09 pm

hey theduke03
Thanks for the advice. I checked the outside line as you said and its iced up at the condenser as well as all along the outside pipe run. The filter is new and clean so the airflow should be fine. I relayed your advice to the senior and she'll now contact an hvac pro. What do you think would cause the line to freeze?
JackT110
New Contributor

Postby heatseeker » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:05 am

low freon or low air flow
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Postby JackT110 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:59 pm

hey theduke03 and heatseeker

Thanks for your replies. The lady shut off her ac and the line defrosted. AC has been off for awhile now and the condensation causing the puddling of water has stopped. She will call an ac pro when she saves up some money.

Thanks again for helping...
-Jack
JackT110
New Contributor

Return to Residential