comfortmaker/york ac unit will not kick on

Problems related to residential installations.

comfortmaker/york ac unit will not kick on

Postby cerrin » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:25 am

I have a comfortmaker gas upflow furnace with an attached york ac unit, a few days ago i took the recirculator out and cleaned the motor as it was beginning to whine and not perform well, even not starting at times due to the built up debris causing friction. When i replaced the motor and fan and wired the unit back together, i crossed a wire and blew the sp dt relay, I admit i was pretty unfamiliar with what i was doing and did not realize that the wire colors going out to the ac unit did NOT correspond to the colors on the labeled leads.

The overall setup is painfully simple there is a transformer and a relay on the inside panel with 5 leads on the outside for blue, white, red, yellow, and green connections, there is a fan regulator control, a thermocoupling, and then the outside ac unit.

The wires i am working primarily with are the white yellow red and green wires from the thermostat, a white and a blue wire going to the thermocoupling to start the furnace, and a red and a white wire that go to the external ac unit

Before i took everything apart, everything worked correctly; except the motor running sluggishly; the first time i hooked it back up, i hooked everything correctly except for the two ac wires, the thermostat was set to ac, the fan was set to auto, and when i turned it on, the furnace kicked on. i played around with the wires and had the external unit come on for a short while (the configuration was ALL messed up) but the recirculator would not remain on while the ac unit was it would kick on and off sporadically even when the fan would be set to on. i continued to experiment with the position of the wires until it no longer kicked on at all, at which point i believe that i had fried the relay. i just replaced the relay, had a friend who used to work in HVAC from far away talk me through the wire positioning and the rewiring of the relay. When i was still unable to get the external ac unit to come on, i tried replacing the fuses on unit, still nothing, i checked the capacitor, and all the leads inside the removable panel on the ac, they all look good. i checked double checked and tripple checked the wiring diagram for placement on the heater, everything is in the proper place, yet neither the ac and now the heat as well will NOT kick on, the recirculator kicks on for about a minute or two, but neither the heat nor the ac will engage; i am literally at a COMPLETE loss as to what the problem may be and i'm looking for any suggestion however implausable at this point.

The york ac unit is only 6 years old, and the heater is much older but everything was in good working order before this save the motor.
any help would be GREATLY appreciated
cerrin
Minimal

- comfortmaker/york ac unit will not kick on

Postby cerrin » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:53 am

I forgot to mention in addition to everything else i did, as a last ditch diagnostic measure, i bought and installed correctly a brand new honeywell thermostat (we've got a nice programmable one but i wanted something simple to make sure that it wasn't the thermostat) it did NOT resolve the issue at all
cerrin
Minimal

- comfortmaker/york ac unit will not kick on

Postby heatseeker » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:14 am

first thing you did wrong was start messing with the control wiring. Did you check the little fuse on the circuit board? It might be blown. Secondly what do you mean you blew a relay? That probably didn't happen unless you hooked 120volts to it. It sounds like you wired something wrong or there is a loose common wire somewhere try looking at the safety switches and the wire terminal. Cut the power first so you don't kill yourself. Then after you can't fix it call a company.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential