Question

Problems related to residential installations.

Question

Postby Captainduckarse » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:17 am

I get that Hot Water Baseboard Heat systems are designed to "lose" heat by expelling generated heat into the room & I also get that there are many many variables in calculating the degree of the drop in water temp but does anyone have a ballpark number ?
Does anyone have an "approximate" temp of water out & water back in ?
Are we commonly talking 50f temp drop/recovery ?

Thanks.

P.S,... I just like to learn stuff
Captainduckarse
New Contributor

- Question

Postby heatseeker » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:18 am

Don't know what type of system but I would think in the 10 to 20 deg range
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

- Question

Postby Captainduckarse » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:59 pm

It's an old American Standard Cast Iron, Natural Gas boiler with 3/4" finned copper pipes @ the baseboards.
Just curious as to the degree of heat loss between water coming OUT of the tank & the water recirculating back IN to the tank.
As I said, I know the system is designed to "lose" heat into the house but would love to know some numbers.

Thanks for any help.
Captainduckarse
New Contributor

- Question

Postby Freon » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:06 am

There are too many variables to give you an accurate answer (length of piping and water flow rates to name 2). The simplest way to know the temperature drop (and also determine accurately how many btu/hr of heat you're getting into you house) is go to Walmart and buy 2 the inexpensive indoor/outdoor thermometers. Be sure they have a wide temperature range, especially the maximum. Tape the outdoor sensing bulb on the return flow pipe and you will know the returning water temperature. You can estimate the outflow temperature as being a few degrees below the aquastat temperature setting. Or use the 2nd thermometer and measure it.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential