condensor fan

Problems related to residential installations.

condensor fan

Postby freshair » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:27 pm

Hi,#1, I am employed at a resort in Fla. our condensing units are on the roof of the 3 story buildings. The units are standard residential type 1.5 to 3.0 ton. I have one right now that the common wires burned off the capacitor, so I made the repair and replaced the dual cap. it was a 45-5. The motor still did not come on, by the way the compressor has been working the entire time. The original motor was 1/8 I had to replace it with a 1/6 it worked for a couple hours no nothing. the wires on the cap are still good just no movement on the fan. What happened? #2, can i replace this 1/8 motor using a 1/4 motor. Also I have the capacitor wired like this, the C has red from the contactor and purple from the fan. the FAN has brown from fan. and the herm is the compressor. not real sure how these work any help would be greatly appreciated. I start HVAC/R training in october however right now I dont have the knowledge base to make sure im doing this correctly. Thank you for your time
freshair
New Contributor

- condensor fan

Postby heatseeker » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:40 am

I guarantee you screwed something up. It sounds like it's wired right now but trust me you screwed something up. did you check the rotation of the motor?????????
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

- condensor fan

Postby freshair » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:23 pm

Thank you heatseaker for your response. I went ahead and installed the 1/4 hp, as for the 1/6 apparently it cant be done it goes into thermal overload . the 1/4 is working fine been running all day. rotation has been looked at all along, im only light green not dark green. Ive been thrown right into this a/c thing so im learning the hard way. thankfully my wallet doesnt suffer the consequences.All is well for now here ,however Im sure I will have many ?'s along my journey and appreciate all the help. Hopefully one day I can be of assistance to some greenhorn. Thanks again.
freshair
New Contributor

Return to Residential