Goodman CK18-1B

Problems related to residential installations.

Moderator: juster

joiiyrancher
Minimal

Goodman CK18-1B

Post by joiiyrancher » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:48 am

I have a Goodman CK18-1B unit for my apartment. The refrigerant is full and according to the property management the unit is producing good airflow. Here is the problem though. I live in a small 1200sq/ft apartment and I can have the A/C on for hours and it will only cool the house a couple of degrees. I live in CA and it gets quite hot outside and unbearable inside. There recommendation was for me to get up at 6 or 7 in the morning to start my A/C and then to leave it on all day. There are a couple of huge problems with that. The biggest is the hundreds of dollars I would be spending a month for electricity. Because I have never had this problem in any other apartment, I am speculating that the owners were cheap and installed a united to small for my living space. They said it was a 2-ton unit. I tried looking up the specs for the CK18-1B and wasn't able to find anything. So I tried looking up a similar unit and had no idea how to read the specs.

Here is my question. Is the CK18-1B rated for a 1200sq/ft living space or is it too small?

Ambient temps are currently around 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Apartment is second story, with vaulted ceilings and the windows face West.

freshair
New Contributor

- Goodman CK18-1B

Post by freshair » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:38 pm

I the model # there is a number somwherwhere in the middle. I igoes in intervals of 6. 6btu's is .5ton
, so 18 would be a tonn and a half 24 would be a 2 ton 30 would be 2.5 ton and so on. thats usualy the norm on a goodman so go check it out 12 btu per ton. hope it helps

heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

- Goodman CK18-1B

Post by heatseeker » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:34 am

sounds like a ton and a half to me. anyways in those conditions and any weakness in the system not going to cool worth a snot./

freshair
New Contributor

- Goodman CK18-1B

Post by freshair » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:38 pm

Well if they said it was a two ton and your sure you checked those number correctly then they lied. and you unit will run and run and never realy cool.
-